Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, December 09, 2011

Christmas for Aunt Bea



Yesterday I intended to finally sit down and spend the day writing. But instead, I was physically and emotionally pulled to paint.

I know when a muse speaks internally like this it is no use fighting it. I painted this for Aunt Bea, or for me, or for both of us. She was outside the studio in the paddock, soaking up the earth and sun, and I painted quickly, with abandon. I had an internal sensation that I had to get it done 'in time' for her, and even had hesitated to look out the window when I was done because I thought somehow my finishing the piece was tied to her time on Earth.

But she was still hanging in there. I showed her the piece and she looked at me in an expression I have grown to know well - little head with little eyes, "Are you really taking care of me? No one has cared for me for so long, when will you leave me?"

I felt Aunt Bea deserved a Christmas, not a holiday, a Christmas. So I painted her in one. No matter how long she is with us, I will know I gave her that.

8 comments:

Lis said...

This is so beautiful ... Aunt Bea exemplifies the hope and promise of this season. May hers truly be a new beginning.

I hope you will make this image available as a print or card ... The Love is so strong. Thank you for the updates.

xo Lis

Else M Tennessen said...

Wonderful piece. I'm so glad you painted this for Aunt Bea. You have a wonderful way of making your animal friends our friends, too. Thank you and blessed holidays!

Deborah Weber said...

Such love, such beauty - I feel very privileged to glimpse into this sacred time.

Sharon Stanley said...

i think you have captured the essence of animal grace and christmas all at the same time! so heart-filled. beautiful.

Cathy said...

I love that painting and everything you are doing for Aunt Bea. You are so wonderful! I love goats and I love that you brought Christmas to her.

Praying for Aunt Bea and for you. :)

Melly Testa said...

I think you will like this, it is a goat house.
http://www.itsnotbadatall.com/funny_pictures/html/Cool_Goat_House-2167.html

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Dear Katherine... We are keeping Aunt Be a and her caregiver in our thoughts... Thinking of you every day sweet friend

greybruceartist said...

very touching..art is a powerful healer,...i love your dedication to your wonderful creatures
Cheers heather

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~