Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, December 23, 2019

Happening now! The First Celebration of Bells!



This week, out of the blue, I got a package from a long time reader and follower. When I began unwrapping it, my mouth dropped open and I was so excited.

She had sent me all sorts of bells, from her many travels all over the world. There were bells from a trip to Thailand many years ago, bells from so many different trips. What she didn't know is I was planning on taking out my other bells I had for the ponies and letting all the Apiferians wear them over a period of days in a Celebration of Bells. It felt like a beautiful way to ring in the season and new year.

I feel like each jingle you hear is from one of the many Misfits or Apiferians we have loved and cared for over the past 16 years.

What I loved is that she had held onto these bells and knew somehow that it was time to let them out into the world for another person to enjoy.

It felt like such a genuine gesture. A gesture that shows she truly understands my spirit, and intent. This woman has purchased a lot of art from me, and always takes time to share how much my art has meant to her over the years, she will take a picture of the pieces throughout her home and it is very fulfilling to see how my art has touched her in such a way over the years. She told me this again, in her note, and that these bells just somehow needed to be with me.

So today, I let the donkeys do a mini parade. They did exactly what I said-I told them to feel the bells and go in a line like fancy Clysedales might in a parade.

I especially love the sound of the Thailand bells, they are older and the leather is very old but the bell sound is deeper than a commercial brass bell.

I think I am officially into bells.