Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, January 16, 2006

Awakening


I was touched by an email this morning from someone who has bought a lot of my work and while looking at the moon she said she thought of my moons in my paintings, and how she has become more aware of nature because of the art she has bought...she thanked me for this 'awakening'. What a wonderful thing to hang on to in my heart when I paint or work in such isolation here - it is a reminder I have value.

Speaking of moons, the moon came out briefly the other nite. It was so nice to see her again, and I greeted her, and just stood with her by the barn for a few minutes. It has been so long, and I look forward to summer again when the
nites are warm and dry and the star watching here is magnificant.


The three paintings that went to Sundance are finally on their online store , it took forever to get them online, so long I had forgotten how much I liked them. One is about the moon watching the barn - I really see her as a protector and guide to all of us, including the barn, that houses and keeps our animals safe. When the full moon shines here, it does light our way to the barns, it's amazing.

3 comments:

megg said...

I was just reading an earlier post of yours & commented before realizing that it was while ago & you might not read it. I wonderif you would tell us more about why fairies are attracted to things - it sounded charming! I think your artwork is so captivating. I love it!

shepherdgirl said...

Well, I can't really tell you why fairies ARE attracted to things, [I mean, I can't tell you why you are attracted to something, can I?] but I can tell you from my experience that they are. Grape jelly is a favorite, and if you leave it out, especially in moonlight, they will often be attracted into your garden. They love anything purple, which is good for us at Apifera Farm because we grow a lot of lavender. They love shiny objects, and I surmised, after losing a pair of red shoes, that they must especially love shiny new red shoes. I know that if you hum quitely, and act as if you don't care, you might attract fairies [this also works for catching horses and goats]. They are very smart and resourceful, otherwise more people would see them. It is not that I am special, I just think they know in my heart I really do believe in fairies, so they present themselves to me occasionaly. When I traveled in Norway years ago, there were many that believed in trolls, and I saw nothing odd with that, as I had seen my first fairy when I was not more than 3 back in Minnesota. We honor our little friends - and I have only seen three fairies here on our farm [I think there are so many places they can hide including their belved lavender field, that they have no need to socialize even with fairy believers] and we make what we call 'Fairy bundles' out of the tiny new seedling lavenders that produce very short young lavender stalks - and since they have to be pruned back but can't be sold as regular lavender bundles, we sell teeny weeny bundles and call them 'fairy bundles". I hang them in pastures on trees for our friends just to let them know we like having them here on the farm.

farmgirl said...

So many congratulations are in order! On your two healthy sets of twins, on the success with your artwork (I LOVE these three paintings), on the wonderful blog you have created. Well done you!

How fitting that I popped over here on a full moon (says the Cancer/moon child). And, yes, your sheep are absolutely beautiful. Almost as beautiful as mine, tee hee. : )

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~