Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, September 26, 2008

For him


I painted this yesterday in homage to our fallen friend. I felt peaceful and intent painting it, and more peaceful afterwards.

I was thinking how the land has seen many fall on it, blood runs deep under the ground on any farm. I am unclear as to the symbolism of the saddle like pattern I felt compelled to place on the deer. But it was necessary.

It was nice of many to comment, and email thoughts. Thank you.

6 comments:

Penelope Dullaghan said...

Beautiful... what a nice homage. :)

Elizabeth said...

Your post yesterday made me cry...I felt so bad for you and for the scared deer.

I can only imagine how you must have felt. I'm glad he found his way to you.

Your painting is very touching. It makes me feel more peaceful too.

herzensart journal said...

oh Katherine, I so often wonder in which world we are living when it comes to how animals are treated by humans. I´m so sad for what the poor deer and you have gone through.

The painting is a wonderful way to find peace and for healing!

Cathy said...

I love the stillness of this. A beautiful tribute, Katherine.

blackfeatherfarm said...

I hope this artwork will bring you some peace. I know pummeling the hunters won't bring him back but it would make me feel better, so you can let me do it ......

If it helps my brother once saved a deer, he is a helicopter pilot for one of our news stations. The deer had been trapped on a frozen lake for hours, there were people trying to help, but to no avail. My brother positioned the blades of the copter, and gently blew it over the ice to safety. It is on youtube if you would ever like to see it. Not all men like to kill things, my brother is a big softy when it comes to animals. We will put our hope in the good guys.

susanna said...

What a beautiful tribute. It reminds me of Frida Kahlo's painting of the injured deer (with Frida's head) running through the woods.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~