Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, April 25, 2011

Blue Drawing: Sheep Hill



Sheep Hill, a small inclined area in front of our perennial gardens, bordered by old lilacs, cherries and quince is the burial ground for Rosie and Coral and their six triplets, along with two other lambs. Far enough from the well to be trouble, I have been working to establish wild flowers on the graves. The giant red poppies are growing in full force over Rosie and her triplets. The grave of Coral Bell is starting to take with the wild daisies I gathered from the river front acreage, but I have a lot of weeding to do to get them established. When I'm caring for a grave I feel vary calm and kind. It's the same soothing quality that comes from brushing a child's hair or a horse's mane.

I know exactly how their bodies are placed below the ground. I can see their faces, and I envision the roots of the trees and flowers embracing them.

See more of the Blue Drawings at the art site. Available for purchase there too.