Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, January 10, 2019

Old Kitty Knitty Club-calling all knitters!

The Old Kitty Knitty Club is a way for you to collaborate on knitting projects that help elder people. Back when we arrived in Maine, we began adopting the elder cats out of the shelter and they live in a special Elder Cat Suite in the front barn. A couple of my friends who love cats came over and we knit amongst the cats. Well that led to The Old Kitty Knitty Club, and Papi is President.

But now followers from all over can partake in the Old Kitty Knitty Club. Right now, we have two projects you can partake in.

Blankets for Old Bones [Deadline April1, 2019]
Participants will knit [or crochet] 7.5" squares and send them to me. I will mend/sew them together into a blanket. The blankets will be used for our elder friends when they come to the farm to sit with the animals. We are right on the coast, and it can be a tish chilly so the blankets are welcome.

We will aim to do two blankets for now.

Make as many squares as you wish. Each must be 7.5" square. The finished blanket will be 25 squares. If we have lots of squares, I will do more blankets.

Colors: one blanket will be earth tones - mustard yellows, olive greens, greys, off whites, egg shell blue, etc. No need to leave a tail on your squares, I will choose a thread I like. The other blanket will be full of colors of your choosing. You don't have to worry if you have yarn laying around, just use that and I will be the painter and choose the colors I like when putting the blankets together [but all squares will be used]

Yarn: I prefer natural fiber. I will be hand washing these when needed. If you only have non-natural fibers, it is okay. I would only suggest you stay away from the super bulky yarn.

You can make your square as simple or fancy as you want. Stockinette, garter, whatever, fancy edges or not, one color or more-have fun with it. I started a Pinterest page for inspiration [and many are for me to be inspired, don't be overwhelmed by them if you are a novice knitter [which I am].

Attach a tag with your name and cute/state on it. Also when mailing to me, make sure I have your mailing address and email so Papi can send you an official membership card and other news if needed.

Misfit Wrists of Love [Deadline August 15 range, 2019]
Participants will knit wrist warmers or fingerless gloves and at end of summer I will gift them to the elder residents of the Lincoln County Elder Network homes where Opie visits. There are seven homes so if we aim for 70 pairs, that is a good goal. Choose any pattern you'd like. Attach a tag with your name and city/state. Pinterest board for ideas.

Mail to:
Papi, President of The Old Kitty Knitty Club
c/o Apifera Farm, 315 Waldoboro RD, Bremen ME 04551

Also when mailing to me, make sure I have your mailing address and email so Papi can send you an official membership card and other news if needed.