Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday workers



With the first blast of summer like weather, winter coats are shedding, and the grass is growing by leaps and bounds. Our first year of leaving the ewes in the lavender field is paying off. The grass would be mid calf high by now. We are quite pleased, plus it allows us to rotate pastures and let the other sheep field rest a season. And such good fertilizer - right from the source! We won't till between the rows this year, giving the soil a rest, and maybe won't have to in the future with the sheep in there. We still have a lot of thistle and weeding around plants to accomplish, but as the plants are larger now, there will be less 'honey I'm freaking out the weeds are taking over the plants" mode. I'd love to put the donkeys in there, as they adore new thistle, but they seem to think that we planted the tidy rows so they could make special Donkey Row Running Olympics...and I fear plant damage.

For those of you who don't know the Katahdin breed, they are a 'hair' sheep, and shed out their coats. The fields are full of fluffy little shapes, newly fallen from the ewes - perfect house making material for all our bird friends having babies.

10 comments:

whimseycreations said...

What a great picture! I just love it and the sheep look so happy LOL
Jill

Apifera Farm said...

Hi Jill! I always feel like their expressions are "Come one girls, we have work to do!"

Cathy said...

Oh, I can almost smell the lavender...I want to BE there! Spring at Apifera must be so lovely.

Is Katahdin wool spinnable? I'm not spinning yet, but I suspect it's in my future.

Apifera Farm said...

I don't know if you can spin hair sheep wool? I should send you some. Cathy, have you tried using the wool from my friend [and old high school mate] Julie MAckenszie at Great Wool - I have given her wool to a cople avid knitters and they loved it - check out her web site see link in my farm links on left panel] otherwise I'll give you her email. I just stripped winter coat from Joe Pye Weeed today, but the rams have so much lanolin...We should have a spinner do a test.

cherrymenlove.com said...

Such lovely pictures of your sheep. I love the fact that they shed their hair and the birds get to use it for their nests. Isn't nature wonderful....
Jodie from the team at cherrymenlove.com
x

Pat said...

Lovely photographs and lovely sheep. I like doing the job like that, so efficient and labor saying.

maccandace said...

That's a very idyllic pastoral scene!

Tai said...

Love the look--the woolly cape, dangling casually from the shoulders. All the trendiest sheep are wearing them. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of your sheepermodels strutting down the runaways of Milan.

Claire said...

You can spin Katahdin if you blend it with another type of wool. It makes excellent rug and mat wool.

I love the idea of the sheep among the lavender. I have read about them being used to prune grape vines and have wondered about trying that!

Apifera Farm said...

Hi again everyone- now I know about Katahdin/spinning...maybe I'll send some to a spinner for fun...mats would be nice, or sheets of matted hair for....something. [my brains says, "Do you have to make EVERYTHING?]

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~