Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, April 27, 2009

Theatrical thoughts


For months, okay maybe over a year, I've been wanting to create more of a three dimensional world for my felted creatures. I think this yearning will eventually come to fruition, but I think it why I've been exploring for the upcoming "Somewhere" show at Zeek Gallery in June.

This piece has sewn items on it and mimics a stage. I'm working on some felted heads that now mimic this staged painting, but who knows how it will end up. Don't hold your breath.

Part of my frustration with 3-dimensional work is my lack of technical ability, and my process does not do well when I can't ad lib. Like the Monkey Houses I've created on the farm, it all just sort of evolves, and with luck, the wind doesn't blow it over. Doing anything 3D will take the abilities of my loyal dirt farmer.

I have this dream of having a show at Zeek Gallery where a long set/stage hangs on the wall, say 6 feet long, 3 feet high and deep, and then I create a set of animals and back drop illustrations. It would take me a year to do it. I guess I should ask her.