Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Queen of the stars


I just finished this pet memorial for a wonderful creature named Penny. Penny was a rescue dog, and her owner already had three dogs when she came upon her in a shelter. She was not looking to take another pet home, and Penny's card attached to her cage said she was bad with kids, dogs, and cats. She left the shelter, but could not stop thinking about Penny's eyes. A day later, she adopted her.

And what a life they had together. Of all her dogs, Penny seemed to be the soul mate, and together they had a ritual of sitting under the stars, making wishes. I felt Penny was royal now, a real Queen of the Stars. As I painted, a beautiful cloak fit for a Queen seemed to come forth from nowhere.

What was even nicer than spending time with Penny in the painting, was the reaction of her long time companion and owner, who said, "..... it is MAGICAL....I have tears in my eyes right now because I so much miss sitting outside with her and wishing on the stars... It is perfect...I just LOVE IT!! Thank you so much....captured her perfectly!!! You are the best....Thanks Katherine....truly it is perfect!! That face is so Penny!!!

I will take triple ! when they come. Truly loved the outcome of this one.

7 comments:

Red Fish Circle said...

Just saw this on Facebook and thought I would pop in to say - awesome portrait. There is so much expression in her face. Pure poetry.

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Enchanting....

Dogz11 said...

Katherine: I tear up everytime I look at this image. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. You captured Penny's spirit perfectly and I know that there is a special star in the evening sky these days with Penny's name all over it...she is watching and continuing to wish with me... she just has a better vantage point. Thank you again for honoring my special girl.

farmlady said...

What a wonderful story!..., and you are an amazing artist. I love the "magic" of your drawings and paintings.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful story. The eyes in the painting are so lifelike. You have a real gift Katherine.

Editor52 said...

These pet memorials give me goosebumps. I feel like I know the dog, though I never met her. Your work takes my breath away!

Apifera Farm said...

Thank you everyone! I must say, this one really wowed me too, and it's the eyes. And that is why I know Penny was here, because it was those same eyes that wowed her owner back in the shelter, causing her to adopt her. This piece has touched people already, the reaction on my FB page was similar, and it's pleasing I could create this for such a loving person as Colleen- who has taken in many stray dogs, many of them elderly.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~