Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, February 05, 2010

Heavenly: a short story



"Is this Heaven, then?" asked the little donkey, as they reached the place often discussed in the chicken yard.

"We still have our fur and feet," his donkey companion said. "And our ears."

A loud, but kind voice from way up high, rung down to their large ears, "This is the exact spot where Donkey Hill merges with Oak Hill."It was a very old Oak Tree, and the donkey gathered underneath her large arms and fingers and toes.

"What do we look like from up high, Old Oak Tree?" asked one donkey. "Do my ears look big from up there?"

"You look like you are just right, " the old tree said.

And the donkeys spent the day there, under her care.


13 comments:

ashley said...

Your words and pictures make me feel so at peace.

Sharon said...

aaaaah, so precious and sweet in such a few well chosen words...and how can you have sunshine, grass and blue sky? We have snow...and LOTS of it!

farmlady said...

Wonderful short story, Katherine. Love the photos. Oh those donkeys. I lust after your donkeys. Want, want, want some....

Carolina Girl said...

Thank your for that. I just want to give the donkeys a big ol' hug!

maccandace said...

I can't get over the adorable-ness of your donkeys every time I see their photos. Their faces look kissably soft!

maccandace said...

I can't get over the adorable-ness of your donkeys every time I see their photos. Their faces look kissably soft!

Tai said...

I love seeing them in their shaggy winter coats. I imagine they shed those coats in spring and the local birds build nests lined with donkey hair...

Abby Creek Art said...

Thank you for making my day again with donkeys!

coloredsock said...

Mmmm I love that last photo!

Editor52 said...

Reading this makes me wish I could spend the afternoon with some donkeys in the care of a big ol' oak tree.

Apifera Farm said...

Hi everyone. Thanks for stopping by. Isn't the sky incredible? I swear I didn't doctor it. I often trek up to this exact spot...it is amazing the different vistas we have on one property - each are entities of their own.

Paula S In New Mexico said...

I hope someday I can wrap my arms around these guy's necks for a warm nuzzle. Such beautiful faces.

Emma said...

Wonderful!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~