Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, October 29, 2010

I was minding my own business...



Driving on one of the county highways, a small brown dot rushed across the highway, barely missing the wheels of the truck ahead of me. I was busy, on my way to a nearby farm, Huck in the back seat, many errands ahead of me.

But there she was, that tiny wet face, alone. I pulled over about 10 feet from where she darted out. She was still in the same spot, at the ditch, squeeking. I squeeked back, and she came running.

"For God's sake, help me! I'm only 1 pound! My mother is dead, my siblings have vanished!"

I took her in my lap as I drove, but realized it was dangerous. She was quite calm, and sweet, but I drove a few miles back to the vet to borrow a cage for the ride home.

All the way I was thinking, "Lord, I do not need another cat, where will I put her, she's not ready to be on her own?"

Huck is a nursemaid, licking her at her command when she squeaks. She squeaks, she does not meow. She appears to have a sore on her bottom, but nothing serious. She was hungry. She will live in the studio, in Tucker's old triple decker condo cage for now, with a fire to warm her, a blind pug at her side, two chocolate labs at her command.

It felt rewarding to save her from sure death. As much as we don't need another cat in the barn, or the porch, or the house, she already has warmed my heart on a rainy day. And Huck's.



18 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, what a sweet little bit of fluff!! Of course you don't need another cat. But you need THIS one.

Lauren said...

Oh bless you. Poor little thing. Do keep us up-to-date on her. Does she have a name?

Delisa said...

Oh, those little blue eyes! I think it was so kind of you to bring her home. I have a very strong feeling that she is meant for something special and your compassionate actions will not go unrewarded.

Lilli said...

Imagine a world where everyone acted just like you did today... "Minding my own business" - from far away, I'm glad you made her your business. On a rainy day. I would love to take her in, but living so far away. Maybe we can adopt her - from a distance?

kerin rose said...

she is beautiful...and so is your heart, Katherine!....

Lisa of Lisa's Little House said...

On behalf of all little homeless ones, Thank You! This story has a very happy ending...
Bless!

Jennifer said...

Oh that little face, so vulnerable and trusting. How could you not feel rewarded at rescuing her? I'm glad I stopped by tonight.

maccandace said...

Oh, what a precious baby! A little tortie girl. I'm sooo glad you were there at the right time. One more kitty can't hurt, right? As someone who has 3 indoor cats and 12 outdoor cats who were all dumpees, I'm sure as soon as she's a little older, she will blend in nicely with the other Apifera Cats. She's one lucky girl.

Sharon said...

news flash...no one EVER needs ANOTHER kitty, but what a lucky little muffin to have squeaked at the right person! and since she appears a dark color, how appropriate for halloween weekend! can't wait to hear her name...

bobbi said...

This is truly touching. I take cats in all the time. I give them what they need and then help them find homes and families. Most of my money it's spend on animals and i don't regret a single bit. It's the most rewarding love I had. And they make me laugh so hard sometimes i cry!

Suzen said...

Awwww! Look at her trusting little face! And Huck, the big love dumpling! This is entirely too sweet of a story and I have a feeling that there will be much more to it. On behalf of all the kitties that none of us "need," Thank You! XOXO

Zan Asha said...

Hello Lovely Katherine! I know I haven't posted in awhile, but every time I come here I am always taken aback, in awe of your infinite, infinite compassion. You really are a friend to animals in a way I rarely see, even when it's hard or heartbreaking to love them. Bless you a thousand times over! :)

chookgoesbokk said...

bless you, for taking in this tiny creature.

Megan said...

Love the picture of her and Huck! Very sweet. What a lucky baby cat to have crossed your path!

Sydney said...

What a precious little thing! And that face - oh, it warms my heart. It's so sweet that Huck is taking care of her.

Yarni Gras! said...

ah, to come here and read the sweet posts of yours always brings a tear to my eyes but a smile to my hearts. I love that you saved itty bitty kitty..

Kate on Clinton said...

I just found you via Sun Pours Down Like Honey, and with this story of Etta, you were immediately added to my blog reader!

Gilli said...

I'm glad you found each other. I too found a little girl kitty between a two lane highway and a marsh. She was is pretty rough shape. But Kismet has now been my shadow for the past 9 years and I thank the universe that brought her to me. Luck you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~