Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Perspective on weeds



I learned a wonderful lesson years ago, that you can't always change a person or a situation, but you can change your perspective on it. This is a handy skill and attitude for getting through life, so full of things we have no control over, be it a crappy neighbor or a lost love.

Perhaps then, some people might change their perspective on weeds. I wondered why some living plants are designated weeds, and some are cultivated and given the term 'flower'. And if weeds have a bad rap, those labeled 'invasive' have it even worse.

Martyn begrudgedly allowed me to interweave Queen Anne's Lace into our front perennial bed. Oh I can hear some of you purists smirking. Keep in mind we have a water free garden, except for getting new starts going the first year. And yes, they do take over, but they look so lovely mixed in with the grasses and the Globe Thistle. I think if I were to be a weed, I might be a Queen Anne's Lace - they have various shapes and colors as they go through the season, are unafraid to stand up and be seen, but also fit in in a field of fallen grasses, surrounded by cats.

The weeds don't need our sympathy- they are much stronger than that, or they wouldn't be so dreaded by so many people, and they wouldn't still be living on earth. They are the plant form of the rat.

And rats are just big mice, but that's whole 'nother post.



13 comments:

NanaBeast said...

I adore Queen Anne's Lace. I've heard it said that A weed is just a plant in the wrong place - so you have flowers!

Sharon said...

i too love queen anne's lace...if we had no weeds, we would have nothing but dirt here!

Delisa said...

I had to smile when I read your post today, because I once did something very similar. I had a little garden that followed both sides of my walkway leading to the front door. I had just finished reading a book where the heroine would "walk upon the herbs" and everyone could tell where she was in the garden by the delightful fragrance. So I planted mint among the flowers. As you can imagine, it took over everything, but oh how I loved it! The smell was heavenly and would blow in through every front window. :)

Ima Weed said...

The most wonderful thing about weeds is that they do possess amazing beauty and medicinal value as well as the ability to 'take over' any area be it lawn or vast acres of the earth. Queen Anne's Lace is a good choice, they project beauty and grace.

Suzen said...

Another things about Queen Anne's Lace is that you can eat it! If you pick it, you will see the long white roots, similar to tiny parsnips. You can cook them any way you might another root vegetable. They're quite good!

Sunflower said...

i loved this post about weeds. i've always thought the word weeds is very pretty....it has two e's in it and e's are pretty. when we lived in washington out in the country, i spent hours walking through the fields gathering queen anne's lace (that's a pretty name, too.....how could that be considered "awful"?), wild yarrow and sweet pea, grasses and so many other wonderful wild plants. it was a pure joy to me. i've never thought "weeds" were offensive or should be taken away. they are what make the world childlike and free. i would rather have a wild garden than a manicured one any day.
just wanted to say, too, katherine, that your book arrived two days ago and i felt like i was being given a special treasure. it is precious and i have already read half of it. it's the most beautiful book and i already feel so inspired for my own artwork! thank you so much! i absolutely love it and will show everyone i know! congratulations a million times!
debbie

Apifera Farm said...

Well, I guess Queen Anne's Lace has a place in many hearts! Thanks for all these insights on it....I wanted to mention, Suzen points out the taste of these. I think it's called Wild Carrot too, and the animals - all of them- go gaga for it, roots and all, and it does smell like carrot.

ramona said...

In praise of weeds indeed! If I were a weed I think I would be chickory. I wouldn't be too choosy about where I lived and would sink my roots in, not one to be pulled up too easily. My friends that surround me in my season are queen annes lace and day lilies. I'm not showy but am the loveliest shade of blue.

Apifera Farm said...

Oh, yes, chicory is another favorite here, and the animals love it too.

Anne said...

Queen Anne's Lace is one of my favorite flowers! When I lived in the city I planted it in my garden there. Now that I live in the country, it's such a delight to have it growing everywhere. The flowers are so wonderful, from the fresh blooms to the seedheads and then the skeletons, too.

mcregan said...

I had to leave a comment for you; I so agree with you about weeds. Years ago when visiting friends in the Netherlands, I saw a plant-- considered a roadside weed here-- in our friends' beautiful garden behind their home. Every time I see that plant here I want to dig it up and put it in my garden. Thanks for the inspiration!

Megan said...

I just received The Book this evening and am very *HAPPY*. Some time ago, not long after discovering Apifera for myself, I started a sketch journal of my own. Thank you for continued inspiration from The book & the Blog.

Apifera Farm said...

Anne, just tonight we were commenting about the shadowy skeletons of the Q.A.Lace in the dark garden of night...mcregan, go dig it up! Megan, I'm so touched, that is so cool this blog inspired that. I really appreciate you sharing that.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~