Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Monday, March 28, 2011

The smile of Stella



Years ago, when I was a freshly showered single lass wandering the city for amusement, I always had a farm in my head - where it was I didn't quite know. And I knew that future farm would have goats.
I had always loved them, even though I didn't know any goats and my Uncle Clayton, my farmer muse in North Dakota, never had them to my knowledge. Goats are either in your blood or not. What one person finds charming, another might find worthy of abandonment.

Stella is a big bear Boer goat. She and Iris came to Apifera in 2004 so she is seven years old this month. While all the animals that come and go on Apifera have meanings and unique stories and personalities, some have a huge impression on me as an artist and writer. Stella is one of those. If you've followed this blog over the years, you know these two are monkeys in goat suits.

I find myself spending a lot of time with Stella. She likes people, and is very calm, where as Iris is just as her name implies - a Wild Iris. I can't imagine Apifera without Stella, or Iris. Sometimes I wonder if the farm will just disappear into mist and cover the upper hills as the original animals start to die off. But I can't give death that much power. The earth here is just a stage. The after party might be exceptionally wonderful, and I'll meet up with all my old friends.



13 comments:

Mare said...

She is just lovely....

Lisa of Lisa's Little House said...

"But I can't give death that much power. The earth here is just a stage. The after party might be exceptionally wonderful, and I'll meet up with all my old friends." Words to love and live by...just beautiful.
Thanks to you and Stella!
xxoo,

Lisa Kaser said...

This is wonderful. Stella has amazing looking lips-the middle photo just sends me! Great post, Katherine-thank you.

helen said...

She's a beauty - tell her I love goat cheese!

coloradoDAR said...

Absolutely precious!

morningbrayfarm.com said...

Stella is beautiful. :)

We received our pillow today - I absolutely, positively LOVE it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Apifera Farm said...

Hi all, thanks for smiling with Stella. Morning Bray- I LOVE your photos on your beautiful blog and glad you like your donkey pillow.

Tai said...

Wow. That smile is more beautiful than any supermodel's. It's just radiant and real.

Apifera Farm said...

No botox, no make-up no seaweed mud musks.

Divine Oblivia said...

Apifera Farm is a dream of mine. Pino is the guy we tell our friends about! Pino's Pies. It never fails to make us so happy.

I stumbled upon your blog accidentally, through your book on amazon.com where I was book-surfing. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the blog, and was at Pino's place! I called my husband over, "It's PINO!!" And Stella's beautiful smile. Sigh.

Recently we got some weird health news, and our dream of having a place like Apifera or the place our bovine friend Bessie lives seemed to go up in smoke.... too far in the future, too ridiculous to imagine, just not practical (ever). But I have more hope now, the more I know. And to see Pino with pies and aprons gives me such a beautiful thing to hope for.

Thank you for sharing Apifera Farm with us. It helps so much! To have Pino & Stella pop up like that this afternoon -- it's like a sign. Now, off I go to explore what they've been up to..... What a pleasure.

Apifera Farm said...

Divine- I got to my dream farm at age 44, and I'm 53. Don't give up. r maybe your dream farm will manifest in other ways- a small plot of land, helping another farm....I'm glad Pino makes you happy, he makes me happy. Love, Apifera.

Brandi Marie said...

Oh I just want to hug those girls. I am definitely a goat person. And look at her little teefs in that last photo!

Lovely.
~Brandi

Megan said...

What a beautiful smile!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~