Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Monday, March 21, 2011

One and a two and a three



On Saturday, Lilly finally went into labor. I gave her 30 minutes and came back to a huge, beautiful boy who was already standing with ears upright [most lambs are born with floppy ears and then they perk up in a day or two]. Upon my next 30 minute check, she'd had her second, a sweet girl, almost all white which doesn't usually happen around here. I thought she was done, but checked in again to make sure, and there was a tiny coco gray boy.

Triplets. Again.

After last week's losses, I was a bit overly analytical about every move these lambs and mother made. I wanted to tube the little boy, but Martyn felt it was not necessary and might cause more problems than good. So we checked them every 30 minutes for the entire day and each time, they were all getting stronger, and eating well. Lilly had plenty of milk, unlike Daisy who was lacking in that department. These triplets were much stronger, even the runt.

So, they made it through the night, and the next day. And today they saw the earth for the first time. We shall see if the little coco boy catches up. Either way, he made it. And lambing season is done for yet another year.



18 comments:

Annie Pazoo said...

Oh MY but those are handsome lambs. So pleased that they look, and are responding so, healthy!

indie grrrl said...

They are just precious!!!!!!!

Sharon said...

yay! they are such cuties!

Jeannie said...

Hurrah!!! The little cocoa one just makes my heart melt.

Megan said...

what beautiful babies! Things are looking up.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Awwwwwwwww, they are so cute. Sweet pics!

Dreama said...

Katherine, they are spectacularly gorgeous. So happy for them, Lily and you that they are thriving and growing. What miracles---I just want to hug their wooly little bodies! Congratulations!

Cathy said...

Those sweet furry faces and knobby knees - is there anything more adorable than a baby lamb?? Love and congrats to all at Apifera.

turquoise cro said...

O! I am soOOOOOo GLAD to visit YOU and your sweet animals on the farm!! I LOVE Cocoa Boy, the lil gals seem to be jealous of his lil pink nose!!! hehe I hate to say this but cocoa Boy is my FAV! I wish I could come visit him and bring him back to WV with me!!but I would be sneezing all the way soOOOOo take care Katherine and Congratulations! to YOU and Lilly!

Jody said...

Oh dear God in heaven that little cocoa boy makes me breathe faster! His little smile - that niblet nose. I can't stand it.

morningbrayfarm.com said...

I absolutely can't get over the cuteness!

maccandace said...

They're all adorable. The little cocoa boy is so much tinier, they're all just kissably cute. If I were you, I would spend all day smooching animals and never get anything else done.

Ange said...

As a child I lived on a sheep farm; lambing time was always exciting/nerve wracking for us. I remember warming up formula and giving it to lamb from old pepsi bottles - and letting the babies suckle my fingers. And their smell; a mixture of lamb, straw, and spring!

I remember the loss as well, heartbreaking, and down right awful sometimes. And the names, your names are awesome; I remember Dotty, Blind Bat (I really was a strange child), and lumpy (again strange name from a strange child).

I love these memories you have brought back for me!

Thank you!

Claire the Shepherdess said...

Oh that coco boy is adorable! I want to snuggle him close! I also love that warm brown patch on the back of the neck of one of the white ones. Darling!

Magic Happens said...

How beautiful and different they all are. I love that.

Brandi Marie said...

How beautiful and different they all are. I love that.

Brandi Marie said...

Oh goodness. Did I just post once as myself and once as the rescue group I volunteer with? If so please delete the rescue one! Sorry!

Tante B said...

aw so beautiful beautiful beautiful!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~