Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, September 02, 2011

Rosie's delight



If you want a smile that will last all day, keep reading, and the next picture, and video, will make your day.

I read once, long before we adopted Rosie, that there is no other creature that will demonstrate such joy in eating as a pig. I have found this to be true. When I go to the barnyard to start night time feedings, Rosie [and Old Man Guinnias, if he's up to it] are at the gate. Rosie starts making all sorts of sounds that let me know how darn tootin' excited she is for dinner! Then I start walk-running to the barn and she skips piggie style to catch up [I am trying to get a movie of this]. When she gets to her feed dish, first she walks all around it and sticks her nose in it a few times, as if to say, "Oh good! Wonderful, there are eggs tonight!" She snorts all the way through dinner.

I had left over blackberries from last year's harvest in the freezer and thawed them for an appetizer for our piggie goddess. Do you think she liked them?



video

17 comments:

Ellen Bateman Bulterman said...

Love the pictures and the video -- if only we all could take such delight in simple things.

Apifera Farm said...

I've been known to get pretty excited around chocolate chip cookie dough.

Cathy said...

Oh, I needed that belly laugh!! Is her snout permanently berry-pink?

Apothecary Inn said...

Vampire Pig (at least where blackberries are concerned)!! :)

Apifera Farm said...

Well, not for ever. You should see her when she eats beets!

stephanie dalton said...

Rosie the red nose pig loved her dinner of berries so much that she ...( finish the story K, and while you're at it, how about a few paintings)? this is your assignment should you choose to accept it, (as they used to say in the man from uncle).

rosie reminds me of the prize pig in charlottes web.

stephanie dalton said...

rosie the red nosed pig loved her bowl of berries so much she .... (finish the story K), There's just something very endearing to this little girl, and I feel no one could tell that story better than you. she reminds me of the pig in charlottes web.

Adrian said...

Oh, how delightful! It is so much fun to feed our friends and that berry colored nose.. adorable!

Sharon said...

delightful! i am sure she would have availed herself of your pie crust as well if her legs allowed!

Lisa of Lisa's Little House said...

Bon apetit!

Dianna & Allen said...

I can already see your story illustration of this event in my mind! I have your workbook and have really gotten a new philosophy about layering almost a history of emotions under the painting that others see. Thanks for sharing your world with other artists and farmers!

Apifera Farm said...

Rosie has proven here that piggies always get people talking.

maccandace said...

That's priceless.

Crow said...

I eat my berries in the same manner. :-)

Pigs are joyous, and teach us to live in the moment.

GrayFlannel said...

Precious! Thank you both for making my day :)

Patty said...

This reminds me to review my own table manners. Joy of eating!

Paula S In New Mexico said...

I've been sharing your blog with my 6.5 year old grand daughter, Iris. She is a huge Pino fan. We made an Apifer Farm prayer flag that she is pretty proud of. It is going to be fun to hear her giggle when she sees Rosie enjoying her berries. This got a good out-loud laugh out of me.....such delight.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~