Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, December 19, 2013

Working on magic



I am working on two new book projects, although have been focusing on a book about how I met Martyn, got to the farm and–well, you know what followed–donkeys, pie parties and chickens with pretty underpants.

I love this book. It is a book that has actually had many lives, and it almost has come full circle. I guess this often happens with a project. I find it interesting though that i am going back to the book the way I first envisioned it-before editors and agents at the time started putting other ideas into my head-to make it more commercial. They weren't bad ideas, but I feel much more convinced that this way is the way the book was meant to be.

This is a happy book, a magical book. I wrote a huge portion of it a couple year ago, and had it professionally edited and shaped by a good editor. We pitched that portion and it got turned down by many places. This new version is much more lifestyle oriented, versus the old version which was a memoir. This version will have fun recipes and lots of Apifera wisdoms. I forgot how much I loved the original story of how I left Minneapolis and met my next door neighbor–who happened to have the same last name as me–it is easy to forget that broken heart that I carried with me to Oregon, only to be healed by loved, friendship and homemade pie...and then Apifera let me blossom.

So stay tuned.