Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pino gets the news! Send him a poem!



Send Pino a poems or soothing thought and I will post them on the stall wall when Pino has surgery. You can put them in the message on this post if you like.

The good news is it is not cancer. The bad news is it is a sarcoid which means it will most likely be an ongoing issue-but sarcoids are not malignant. I am relieved, but also bummed at the same time–thinking of the difficulties we might face and discomfort for him in future bouts. The vet and I agreed we will proceed with surgery on this one, it must come off, but with each case that arises there are many variables to look at before deciding which path to take. There is a cream I can rub on them-it stings and is basically like the skin cancer treatment I did on my own skin.

We will go forward in Pino spirit! No complaining, tail swishing in play not fear, and get on with what must be done now!

We will have the growth removed here at the farm. I opted for this as it would have meant a night alone in a stall in a strange place and since Pino has never left the farm, I just felt with this kind of surgery it will be okay. He was...her...castrated here and I just felt better it be done here if the vet was on board, which she is.

Paco, the resident worrier, asked me to paint "right" and "left" on Pino's feet. I explained that I was sure the vet will not accidentally cut off Pino's feet instead of the growth.

There are options for treating future growths, but all are expensive and really the results aren't great [then again surgery to remove each growth is about $300-500]. Everyone has their opinions on this and people with one or two animals are going to look at their options differently than a farmer. Having said that, Pino is in good hands-my role is to do what is best for him-and that does not necessarily mean treating him the same way someone else would. Money buys a lot of things, but to my knowledge it still doesn't buy a cure all for sarcoids, and it often adds the ability for someone to opt to put the animal up for days in a clinic.

So please know I have many good vets, including Pino's former owner who is a retired vet and friend and very knowledgeable. So send your love and healing to Pino, but he is not seeking vet advice at this time–although Paco might entertain it.

Thanks to everyone who thought positive vibes for our Pino!



16 comments:

Cathy said...

It may not be the best news, but it's still good! All of us who love Pino will go through this with you, K.

NancyGeneArmstrong said...

Oh Pino-I am most grateful at hearing this news-I am clapping hands and thinking of a small dance around my art room.. And I am smiling through and through..a I find grateful tears have come to my eyes..most happy at your news-Be strong dear sweet Pino you are in the best hands.

Rene' Janiece said...

Here, here! Let Pino be Pino! His experience can be his alone - so regardless of "statistics" - move ahead. He is in great hands, and we are all richer because of Apifera!

blissfulsally said...

Sweet happy Pino, all is good,
You'll stay home as you should.
Pino Pie Day is almost here,
bringing loving hearts and happy cheers!

Lurena Sheary Williamson said...

Yippee for Pino! Good news

Rosemary Kenigsberg said...

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
with all the medical news said and read
Pino had very Good News

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Pino with your hug me hooves and ears of reddish hue, bright spirit spreading spunkiness and happiness it's true. A minor setback in your day, this problem will resolve and you will be the sunny king of pasture and of pie. Healing wishes in your dreams and shooting stars at night, to light the way to better things, with all your friends in sight.

xox Pino

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

LOVE YOU PINO!!!! Don't worry... you are in good hands. I am sending healing thoughts your way. Hug Mama Katherine so she doesn't worry.

Claire the Shepherdess said...

It is just a sarcoid
Which you could not avoid
But don't be annoyed
By love you are buoyed
And by all enjoyed <3

Katherine Dunn said...

Who knew we had so many poets amongst us! Pino will definately be helped in spirit on his surgery day by all of these wonderful comments and poems!

Joyce Miller said...

Mornings at Blackwater
by Mary Oliver

For years, every morning, I drank
from Blackwater Pond.
It was flavored with oak leaves and also, no doubt,
the feet of ducks.

And always it assuaged me
from the dry bowl of the very far past.

What I want to say is
that the past is the past,
and the present is what your life is,
and you are capable
of choosing what that will be,
darling citizen.

So come to the pond,
or the river of your imagination,
or the harbor of your longing,

and put your lips to the world.

And live
your life.

Katherine Dunn said...

Oh Joyce! Pino will really be moved by that one!

Lis said...

Dearest Pino, We all know you have been a very brave soul and a model for moving through life's challenges with style and grace. I believe a necessary component for treatment of sarcoids is many treats and scratches and exquisite TLC. You are in good hands! Let us know what we can do for your convalescence! xoxo and a big HEE HEE HAW!

maccandace said...

Yay, Pino! You will be fine in the comfort of your home at Apifera.

Donna Childree Gotlib said...

Bless you little Pino
Feel better very soon
Eat a nice crisp apple
And smile up at the moon.

jenuwin said...

My love and best wish to Pino and his Mom.
Jennifer

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~