Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, March 02, 2020

Captain Sparkle enters boot camp




I started working with Captain Sparkle this weekend now that weather is [trying] to warm up. The new addition is big enough for ground work within reason. My goal is simply to 1] have fun 2] let him have fun 3] and build confidence and trust between us. He is a good little chap. His biggest hang up so far is using his mouth occasionally to 'speak' with his lips, i.e. a slight grab of my sleeve. The people at Horses with Hope worked on that too and I know they helped a lot. Sparkle had some training at some point, you can tell. I want to do agility type things with him. I think he'll enjoy it, as I could see he did yesterday with the step. And he really enjoyed the praise. My goal is to work with him and then see how he does with therapy work. The Teapot can partake in this too but I thought I'd focus on Sparkle right now. Then I'll put Arlo into agility work too to help with his training.

I sure do love the little guy. I read somewhere recently that an animal diagnosed with Cushings usually only lives another five years. This was so upsetting to read. And I hope it is just a gross generalization. I'll ask my vet next time she is here. But I love Captain and want him here for a long time even though he is youngish elder.