Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Exhibit Opening


















I am participating in a group show, “What’s Inside-Exploring the Potential for Change”, at Mary Lou Zeek Gallery in Salem during February. All sales will benefit the Poyama Treatment Center in Independence, Oregon, a non profit that helps children of abuse and neglect.

Participating artists received a wooden box through the mail and were asked to use this as their starting point . Each 8" x 8" box was sent “as is”, and was not packaged, but rather processed directly by the postal service firsthand. Each artist was asked to involve a young child and ask them one of four questions concerning their feelings of what makes them feel safe. The answers for these questions are inside the finished boxes for the viewer to see and read.

The child I collaborated with said that being with her mother made her feel safe. This sounds simplistic, but it is such a universal need and desire for all of us, that I wanted to honor that. The inside of my box [the image here is of the front] is like a keepsake to my mother, but also, can be a keepsake for any mother. Or maybe a keepsake for the mother one never had. Little surprises are inside the box. The children of Poyama, and many others through out the world, aren't as graced with this mother aura as I or my collaborating child are. So I am glad that my art will help a child in some unknown way down the road.

The exhibit will open on Tuesday, February 6th at 10:00 am pacific time. The public will be able to bid on the box art, with beginning bids at $50.00 and $5.00 increments. This year there is a maximum bid of $200. This week, the entire show will be posted online at www.zeekgallery.com. Calls can be made to the gallery to place bids: 503-581-3229. The bidding ends February 29th, 2008 at 6:00 pm pacific time.

Poyama Day Treatment Center works with children who are caught in the crossfire of abusive and neglectful domestic environments, educational settings ill prepared to meet mental health needs and the bewildering bureaucracies of social service agencies. They are a small not-for-profit psychiatric day program dedicated to serving up to 23 emotionally disturbed children between the ages of 3 and 12. They provide individual and group therapy, grief counseling, social skills and self-awareness, anger management and parent support groups. With a staffing ratio of one adult for every 3 children, they have used art therapy, ceramics, drawing, painting and a variety of individually crafted approaches to help children look more deeply into themselves and their lives and to explore the potential for change and healing that lies within.

Thanks to the ever wonderful Mary Lou for inviting me to participate.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Katherine, Thank you for sharing of yourself through your art. It is so beautiful and emotionally expressive. My husband is a counselor and works with families. We have seen the success outcomes of places like Poyama Treatment Center. Thank you for helping that center continue.
I love your blog. I have been following it for some time. It has been inspired my to try some art outside my usual "box".
Also, anything made of lavender is a hit for me.
Thanks, Debbie

Debbie said...

Katherine, I just caught up with some comments. I'm still so new to this, having a little trouble, give me an old sewing machine anytime, or a hand tool....anyway.....I'd love to make an apron for you. I'll go through my stash and see if I can find something vintage. I'm planning on see your farm in June. It's the day before my birthday, so I'm treating myself. I live in Forest Grove, so it's not far. When I started reading your blog, I had to laugh, I so connected, I take bread, cake, and pies to friends and people in need of cheer too.
Keep it up! Thanks, Debbie

Bibbi said...

I hope the show will be a huge success! So important for children to have other tools than words to express what they need, and so important to have supporting adults, like you.

I like the gallery :)

salmonpoetry said...

beautiful box, and great cause. i will check out their website!

Bibbi said...

I've tagged you "Show me a special something, important or beautiful or meaningful or full of memories for you - or all of that - and tell me about it." Hope you don't mind :)

coloredsock said...

hey shepherd girl, that's so awesome.i love what you did, and i love the whole concept of the project. i hope it helps the center out and mostly the kids. can't wait to check out the rest of the work. xo

Yolanda said...

This is a worthy cause.I hope the show is success.

Friederike! said...

what a wonderful helping project. It will be successful, your box and thoughts are beautiful!

Abby Creek Art said...

That's a beautiful painting you did, Katherine...and for such a wonderful cause.

Thanks for those last great Donkey photos. Made my day!:)

Sunflower said...

Katherine,
It's so wonderful that you are involved in such a caring project. I really want to do more things like that, too. I think the box idea is so imaginative and to involve a child in the process of creating it is so good. We truely need to talk with children more to find out what they are feeling and thinking. They have so many important things to share with us if we would just listen.
Mike and I have been working on some children's films that we are so excited about. They are fairytales but about the natural world.....we use our treehouse and small characters that we have made. They are sweet little films and I think would be inspiring for children. I've posted short clips about them on my blog. Someday, we would love to work with children doing films with them. They have such fantastic imaginations! Art can definitely help them, too, to express the many feelings they are dealing with.
I hope the show is really successful!! Take care and thank you for continually inspiring me!
Debbie

Bibbi said...

Hello again! I come back to thank you for playing the tag game, and can no longer find the post. I read, and had no time to write, about the beloved horse you missed. I'm glad I saw it, even if dreamlike. Again, good luck with the show!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~