Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Water is a gift


I think I'm much more aware about our resources since moving to the farm. How can I not be? When the well goes dry there are more consequences than not having water for our own use - but a whole barnyard of thirsty beings will suffer.

We have much more work to do before we are the land stewards we want to be. But putting the holding tank in was a big project, and it is a good start. We can water all the animals now, and keep our struggling cedar trees alive we planted [of which 30% died due to lack of water. We can use the river water more efficiently, and though we won't water our field regularly, we can without being wasteful. We can also help the 400 seedlings to be planted this spring on the riverfront - intended to bring the acreage there back to native plants, which will help the river.

We need to do better with our gray water, but have some mickey-mouse systems in play until we get the energy and money to complete those tasks.

So I was inspired to do some portfolio pieces on living green. I just hope it's not one more fad for the masses. It's should be a life commitment, not a Target trend - or I hope it is. The earth hopes too.

6 comments:

Stephanie Lee said...

Your "green-pieces" are beautiful. It's funny how what was just sensible living a century ago, is now being marketed as living green. I guess we're working at remembering.
Thank you for sharing this post! We just bought a couple of acres on a slight slope and this, being our first winter here, has reminded me how much the earth has to offer for our survival, and dare I say, luxury. The incredible amounts of run off we are seeing here has re-ignited our desire to collect winter's offering for summer abundance. A chore to be sure, but well worth the effort.
I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog! It's wonderful.

shepherdgirl said...

Thanks, Stephanie - are you in OR? 2 acres sounds so nice sometimes! We have 22 and the top 7 or so above me needs reworking fence wise to get our sheep in it. It's a constant evolution [redundant]. I think I'm getting better at knowing i can't make it all perfect in a short time.

Momma Pajama said...

I admire your ability to make art with such joy and energy on so many subjects! I see your Pino Pie Day in the sidebar - a road trip may be in order...

Stephanie Lee said...

Hi Katherine,
Yes, I'm in Oregon. Southern Oregon - Rogue River. I love it...and all the opportunities for learning. As an avid gardener (i.e. experiementer) :) I'm always striving for a more efficient use of resources while balancing my resistance to band-wagon hype and "trendy" earth friendliness. The most earth friendly people I know, know very little of this recent "movement" towards smaller footprints. They are sages and crones with worn leather work gloves and even more worn, leathery hands. With overalls and aprons :) and the most practical approach to sustainable living (which was just called farming not a decade ago) :)
Anyway, the house we just purchased is classic American normal with heat pump and what not, but the land will shift to evolve into something a bit more self sufficient. I have plans for a very small strawbale guest house to see if I like it. :) This all in counter balance to my love of new, shiny appliances and the smell of clean. :) A contradiction? I hope not! :)
thanks again for sharing your stories. They are a joy to read!

salmonpoetry said...

these are beautiful! they seem like they should be part of earth day, or something.
i am part of a new ecovillage/cohousing project forming here in NE Portland, on 3.75 acres. There are already 5 gigantic water holding tanks installed there that gather water off the metal roof of the farmhouse (which will be a common house for the community). In my own yard, I've been amazed at how much of a difference catching water in a 55 gallon drum can make. water catchment should definitely be a trend of the future, especially with our bipolar weather patterns!
thanks for shedding some light, and color, on issues of ecological importance!

SegoLily said...

I love the colors in that picture - the creamy browns, blue, and green. Very pleasing. That's so great to that you're restoring native habitat along the river! There's so much land that is in need of such care.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~