Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Blankets




The new snow that fell last night is heavy, a late March snow if I were still in Minnesota. As I walked to the barn in slush, the steady rain had already began to fall. The temporary blanket of nature's best neutral covered all the crap one accumulates on a farm and doesn't quite get to the barn: hoses, buckets, pails, tins [one can't have enough 'holders' on the farm]...or the rotting pumpkins in the compost area. No one seemed that pleased with the slush, but the lonely clear cut above Boone's paddock seemed grateful to be covered, so as not to show it's scars.

9 comments:

Abby Creek Art said...

I'm so sorry about Pumpkin Head, Katherine. What a sweet boy...and what a precious picture.

Your photo of Boone is beautiful! Winter can be so harsh yet so beautiful at the same time.

Maggie Sumner said...

I'm always amazed at how freshly-fallen snow can create such a lovely veneer of newness to every ordinary thing. It's like magic really.

Your photo is beautiful.

SegoLily said...

The remaining trees sure are beautiful though with their snow topped branches.

coloredsock said...

Ahh, sigh. Boone looks so handsome, so beautiful in that snowy landscape. so quiet and peaceful.

Diane said...

So peaceful looking - "sigh" of pleasure. Thank you for the photo.

Julie said...

To quote my son, that scene is "pretty flippin" sweet!"

shepherdgirl said...

"pretty flippin sweet" - I like that.

Hi everyone - the snow is still pretty on the hiss and range line. Today though it was ice all over the farm - Lucia loved it! I however slipped, flipped, and swung around like a bad skater...cheers.

thorngren said...

I know you don't know me, but I found a pair of boots that I think you must own.
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25112798/c/82659.html

They would be perfect for delivering pies.
Your work makes me so happy-I look for new pieces everyday on your blog.

shepherdgirl said...

OH MY Goodness! Those boots are awesome! I am bookmarking them. Maybe the next big juicy job I get I can start saving for them. Yes, my apron outfits, along with these boots, delivering pies. It's a must!!!
Thank you for sharing them!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~