Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, November 03, 2008

A time for prayer flags


NOTE: I'm shutting down comments for a few days due to the overwhelming amount of new visitors from being named Blog of Note. While I appreciate all of the legitamate commentors, unfortantely I have also been overwhelmed with opportunists just pushing their wares.

I'm very excited about my new fabric samples that arrived. As I told you a few posts ago, I stumbled on a company that prints small runs of fabric with your own design on it. Now that I see how well my two design printed, I'm happy to pass on the name of the company, Spoonflower. I have two designs right now that are available in my 'prayer flags' , and I'm brimming with ideas for more products.

One of my goals with my art, and our farm products, is to create things that I would have in my home. And in these economic times, like many of you I want simple ways to bring some comfort into my heart. I have always created little signs and poems on fabric and hung them around the farm and studio. Last month I did some hand painted prayer flags and you ate them right up. So I created these two designs intended for prayer flags, and you can purchase them over at Apifera-A-Day .

Each flag is still hand made, and I attach fabric scraps, bells, twine, little 'finds' to each individual flag. The fabric with the illustration on it is 8". A small twig from one of many cherry trees is sewn into the top. So they remain one-of-a-kinds, except the main illustration on the front is printed on a piece of cotton so I am not re-creating each illustration from hand [note: even farm girl-artist-apron fanatics have to get more work done than flag making]. So when you order a flag, you know what the main front illustration is, but you'll just have to be surprised with all the little additional items attached to it. Like sometimes a chicken feather - just roll with it.

The fabric is color fast so you can leave it in the rain. NOTE: © is not printed on the image, like int he photo. But future flags will have a tiny © included, discreetly. I add another piece of natural fabric in the back of the flag, and attach my hand made embroidered name.

So, hang a little flag, and hopefully it will make you happy, or calm, or peaceful, in a really small simple way.

13 comments:

Cabbage Babble said...

This is wonderful - it makes me want to try my hand at making my own. (And buy some of yours too, of course!) I've just never thought of making my own "prayer flags."

Cov Bean said...

The 'flags' are indeed lovely. Well done there.

Chocky labs are mad, my brother has had one since it was a pup and must have spent over £1k 'training' him. Waste of time. They're loons.

I'm 1/8 Welsh, so don't discuss sheep.

I haven't had much time but what I've seen of your blog I really like. It's so different and refreshing. Will definitely re-visit.

All the best

Red Fish Circle said...

Oh yes, we need prayer flags.... great usage of the fabric. The colors look fabulous!

coloredsock said...

those are really awesome, K! so fun and so you and so Apifera. i had a dream this weekend that i hiked up the mountain about 30 minutes and there was you and Martyn and your whole farm. and i was like, !WOW!, cool, i didn't know we lived so close. and we ate pie. yum. anyway, i heart the prayer flags. oh, and will you post some of the actual fabrics you had made so we can see close up? i'm so interested in getting some made. thanks girl. xoj

Dots said...

Very interesting... congratulations on being blog of note today.

AliciaMarieB said...

Neat prayer flags. Where did you get the idea to put pictures on them. They are really cute!

jobmaldives said...

Nice Blog. Well done. Keep it up. Good Luck

The villager: said...

Lovely site and artwork.

lili11 said...

Congrats on Blog of Note.

Oberon said...

....early this year the wife was surprised when i said i was getting three chickens....(we live in town)....a couple of weeks ago she came up to me and said.....let's sell the house and buy a "chicken farm"......okay, i said.

Jesse Mendez said...

Hi there nice flags, and I think this idea is genious. I have an art blog here in San Diego and am a rookie at blogging, but found your site interesting and would like to invite you to my art blog.

I think you may enjoy the different labels and music videos and photography as experienced by an artist here in So Cal.

hope to see you soon.....

B.P. Aryal said...

I like your blog which is outstanding...how can i follow?Please, help me...

Friederike! and Sandra said...

what a wonderful idea to make prayer flags! They are beautiful and obviously they already worked. Congrats to your new president! yeah!
xo, Friederike! and Sandra