Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, August 19, 2016

Building a life around a sense of place

This is one of the most comforting views of Apifera, the Maine Apifera. It is not as expansive as our old farm, it is not hilly with shades of ochre everywhere, and there is no coastal range [which I miss, I admit].

But at night when we sit on the porch I see Boone and the donkeys, and M'Lady Apple. It brings me peace and soothes any worries I have about income, purpose, and the repercussions of the move.

One has to find these pieces of scenery that they can turn to, and recognize their influence on the soul. I'm lucky to have this view. It is a 'smaller' view than our old place. The sky is smaller than out West. But this is what I am presented with now, and it has merit and is appreciated daily, and nightly.

You find a place that feels like it can be home, and you build a life around it, one day at a time.


6 comments:

susansorrellhill said...

Wise words, Katherine...and wonderful, soothing view. A view one grow (mature!) into for years to come.

littlemancat said...

This post means a lot to me as we are soon moving and the view will be so very different, smaller. But your words are helpful and I thank you for them.
Maine is so beautiful - you're in a good place.
Mary

Cindi Myers said...

I wish I had that view.
sigh.
You give me a lot to think about.

Katherine Dunn said...

Mary I hope your move will go well...it is always discombobulating! Even when the move is for happy reasons...Thanks for stopping by everybody

Claire Moxon-Waltz said...

I believe I feel exactly the same thing these days. Now that I'm in a spot that I love, it's different from my Iowa acreage. The colours are different, the space is different, the energy is different. I am a different person now, though, so I see things through eyes that have been altered with the events and passage of time. I feel a tremendous influence on my soul in the current place, and I know good things are happening. Sometimes I just sit and stare and take it all in, and I feel the shift happening. It is humbling, to feel these greater things that I don't always fully understand, at work in my life.

Katherine Dunn said...

That's really wonderful, Claire, you had a lot of change, and trauma, int past years since I first met you here, and I'm happy you recognize the bounties, and are in a good place-with your sheep again too!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~