Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, August 02, 2016

The Crone Cabinet

The Crone Cabinet-including a doll from Ireland my mother gave me when I was five.
There's an old cupboard in the house that I have named The Crone Cabinet. As I am now entering my emerging crone years, I have placed some things in the cabinet that remind me of the years ahead, and what will be important to me as I age. Animals, of course, warm cloaks of felt, baskets of flowers...a donkey I certainly hope, as Pino and the gang are only 1/3 of the way through their life. I hope I am in a position to have them with me. I try not to dwell on the future, but I hope there are animals for me.

The upcoming workshop in September is all about us emerging crones, how we are growing in strength...deep inside our bones so to speak. I hope to encourage a communal day where we share story, offer optimism to the pessimists, or peace to those who need healing...little wisdoms exchanged over needle and thread as we make our crone dolls, and surrounded with the animals of Apifera.

And I am SO EXCITED that I will have some fiber of one of Apifera's recent additions–one of the new CVM Romeldale sheep. It is fitting that her fiber will be available for the workshop attendees, as she is the elder matriarch of the flock. Her name is Annah Assumpta which is also fitting as "Assumpta" her birth name means one who is ambitious, independent and not easily influenced, with courage and boldness. Not only does this suit her personality, it certainly holds true of the wisdom of the crone. Her face just exudes strength to me.

I have adjusted the price a bit for the workshop. People who needed to travel far way have a lot to pay for, so I adjusted it downward a tad to help. August is never a time for me to get people too motivated, but I really think this is going to be an inspirational and healing workshop. I plan to start some doll work next week to get people excited about doll making– remember, you don't need to be an artist or sewer to enjoy this class, it is hand sewing and intuitive doll making. I will have forms started so people don't feel lost.