Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Saturday, August 25, 2007

Apron reinvention





I have made a bold decision.

I will begin to wear aprons over my pants as a way to create a new wardrobe for myself. I just ordered two vintage aprons - the smock type with vintage red cherries and colored piping. And in these pictures I am modeling an apron graciously sent to me by fellow artist Amy Schimler who designed the cheery farm animal fabric. I told her I would take pictures, artfully shot, holding lavender with Pino and Paco sitting by my side, posed like Martha Stewart props, but alas, this is Apifera, not Martha's [for which Pino and Paco are grateful], hence the photos are...well...sorry, Amy, I will do better.

The brainstorm to wear aprons stemmed from the fact that I am turning an age when, body weight once carried up high now seems to be lower, and those teeny little tanks I wore allowing my lady tummy slightly peaking out now reveals much too much even for my eyes. As healthy as we eat, and as much motion as my body gets, I am done fighting the reality that my 49 year old body just isn't 'cute' anymore. Nor is it ugly. Rather than getting down about it, I will accentuate the positive. I will cloak my body in items that make me happy, and yet react well with my donkey filled pie-bakin' -chicken- scracthin' life, and look good with braids and boots. I want to feel free, like those teeny tops made me feel once, but with slightly better coverage. For some reason, aprons make me feel that way. So when I look in the mirror and see the chin sagging, arms getting a bit pudgy, I will stop, and look at the apron I have on and feel refreshed.

I will also begin riding my horse in my aprons.

I have always re-invented myself every 11 years or so, and I am now in my donkey-apron stage. Although since donkeys live to be over 30, I do not consider it a phase really, but rather consider the donkey's the guides of this phase. My mother gave me her old sewing machine that needs fixing. I yearn to learn to sew better, and I will make aprons. I will name the aprons, like I do the animals,
and I won't care how much paint or dirt gets on them.

You know you married the right person when you can both wear the same apron.

22 comments:

Red Fish Circle said...

My smile grew bigger and bigger as I scrolled down this post only to laugh out loud at the last photo. You both look equally fetching in the apron. And yes, I had fantasies of pies, donkeys, and lavender but I, in partcular, am all for reality.

I Am: Anna Lovely Day said...

Your a lucky lady. You both look like your having a great time. He's a charm in that vintage apron.
Not bad at all for 49. I hope to look that good when I hit that mark.

Smiles.

Friederike! said...

you inspired me to update my wardrobe as well

Cathy said...

I don't know who is more adorable in that photo - Martyn or the goat!

kateri said...

I don't even know you and I love you. Where might I find seven aprons to help me celebrate the gravity? :-)
You look WONDERFUL! And I must say...so does your man. The goat seems to inconclusive yet...lololol

You have no idea the small and grand ways your post helped me today.

thank you!

Jennifer said...

You both look adorable in your new apron ... that fabric Amy designed is so sweet! I'm on an apron kick now, too ... something about slipping one on just makes me feel pretty and ready to conquer my little corner of the world LOL! Enjoy!

anna pieka valentine said...

Nothing short of brilliance! I am in love with the idea, the fabric, and the goaty chagrin!

Abby Creek Art said...

I love that last photo of the goat looking at your husband like..."what the HECK are you wearing?!" HA!

nadine said...

This post could not have been a better read to start my day. Thank you for your always thoughtful, usually uplifting, and often hilarious take on life :-) It doesn't get cuter than that last photo!

Carla Sonheim said...

You DID marry the right man. He's adorable.

cobaltika said...

i barely know you but i just fell in love with you!!!! hi!

Anonymous said...

Love the new look, miss! :)

xo,
penelope

patricia said...

LOL!

Summer Pierre said...

I wear aprons too! It's SO GROOVY. Martin totally is a dish. And so are you!
xo,
Summer

shepherdgirl said...

Well, aprons are certainly a hot spot for many! Today when the mail woman came, she declared, "I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who wears an apron!"...I have acquired two more vintage aprons this week. They are wonderful, I type in one right now. I will post some sources soon. It's always nice to get nice comments - thank you everyone.

Amy C Evans said...

Look at those donkey butts! Love 'em! And you and the aprons, too ;)

Katherine Gray said...

Brilliant! I must consider this as I plant my new vegetable garden this fall.

Just found you and love this blog.

Anonymous said...

I turned 50 this summer and the best thing about that is finally being comfortable in who you are and IN YOUR BODY! I want to be healthy, but this body IS WHAT IT IS! And it's 50!

As for aprons, my mom is a seamstress and I learned to sew on a treadle machine, making APRONS. I'm betting you'd even be able to find some vintage patterns (not to mention fabric) on the internet. Old tablecloths, with fun flora and fauna prints, would make great aprons.

Your blog NEVER ceases to amaze me!

Susannah said...

it's funny, i've been attracted to aprons lately too... half aprons as well as full ones. there are so many great vintage fabrics out there and it's kind of like a skirt/tunic mix. thanks for your post!

jojo said...

How cute!!! even at 49... :) I thought you were going to say you started wearing them to save your clothes from all the stains and dirt... I'm noticing that i can't walk outside to the barn without getting dirty any more. i might have to re-think the apron stigma.

ps. always love your blog, and stop in periodically. just never post.
jo

Diane said...

I love the image of you galloping around on horseback in an apron with your braids a flappin!

Matron said...

Now that is something sensible that we seem to have let slip over the last 50 years. I suppose clothing used to be more precious and people wanted to keep it clean. I am always in and out of my garden and house in the same clothes, so this would do me just fine! Only just last week I found myself in my local supermarket with a big manure stain on my Tshirt!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~