Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A donkey comes to life



I have my children's book manuscript ready to show possible editors and am just beginning to prepare it properly. Meanwhile, I've posted some rough spreads on the site.

I must say, I have been having so much fun working on the book, and would so love to see it in print someday. I realize that is a long ways off, and I am researching and keeping a positive outlook. Martyn and I lay in bed the other night and he read it out loud, it was wonderful. We both got teary eyed. "Good grief, she thinks her book is wonderful", say all the editors in a groan...I am going to start some other stories too, as I've really enjoyed this initial process - and I am surrounded by so many stories here on the farm.

Do you know when you do a rough sketch and you just can see it in finished form in your mind? I feel that with all these roughs in my dummy [for those of you who don't know the lingo, a 'dummy' is basically a roughed out book, showing sketches and type and the flow of the book]. I've only shown it to a couple people, and both wondered if the roughs should be the finished art, but I am not sure about that. I love them, but I see most of the main illustrations being in the color version, with possible spots staying in these sketchy monotone pastels.

This is all a learning curve to me, and I'm lucky and grateful to have some artist compadres who can give me some initial insights. When I started in illustration 10+ years ago, I wanted to do children's books, but ended up on a different path, which is fine, it was as it was meant to be. But I want to try again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts almost as much as I like seeing your art on my walls every day. Congratualtions on your book...I can't wait to see it.

Elizabeth (Atlanta, GA)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Gorgeous! Can't wait till this thing gets published (and it will, I know!).

xo miss!

penelope

aja said...

The book does indeed look wonderful. I would love to read it to my kids one day, and of course to myself. I wish you the best of luck making your dream reality.

nadine said...

Your art is just so full and lovely I can't stand it!
Wonderful!

Carla Sonheim said...

I can't wait to own this book! The sketches are so wonderful...

Melissa said...

:-)

Tai said...

Lovely! I look forward to reading the book. Katherine, do you know the book, Platero? Another small grey donkey, a compadre to Pino.

Carisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely book! You should pick up a copy of the 2008 Children's Writers and Illustrators Market to help you in your quest. Also, might I suggest you add copyright notices on all your spreads?

Wishing you much luck and joy with your creation. :-)

Carisa

ESB said...

This is *****GORGEOUS****! You WILL find a publisher--I am sure of it.

leslie said...

oh this book is fabulous, i am a children's book addict and would love this! good luck and don't give up!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~