Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, June 20, 2008

Art moment



I was somewhat shocked, if not pleased, to have the sudden urge to paint a new canvas yesterday. I had given myself a break from painting to focus on the upcoming Pino Pie day and have been madly making folk dolls, lavender items, etc. But I've been missing my art.

I do think being away from it from time to time is good. I paint all year, but summer is a time to fill the well, and I store it all up for outbursts in fall through spring. There was a time when I would feet guilty if I wasn't painting every day. No more. I am a dedicated artist, but I'm not a faucet. If the right project came in, I'd snap it up with zest. But the times are so s..l.o.w...one must work hard at other things, and not bang one's head up against a wall too much. It feels like the whole world is on vacation. Is anyone out there?

So this was enjoyable to make, and see the next day.

6 comments:

Joan said...

Yep, I'm out here and not on vacation. I finally got my apron for Pino finished and will be going to the post office in the morning. We have a plumbing leak to deal with this weekend and I'm hoping it will be simple fix even though nothing seems easy any more. Sigh.
Love the painting.

shepherdgirl said...

I'm honored you sewed in the midst of a plumbing extravaganza! I hope it gets fixed asap. As Pino would say,
"Get a bucket!"

penelope said...

Hi miss Katherine,

I loved (and needed) this post. And the painting of course! I am trying to give myself the space to refill. Once again, you are a good teacher. Thank you. :)

shepherdgirl said...

Oh Miss P, I have learned this, but I still must practice at it. It is a life long practice I think to make it a skill. Not to soud like an old school marm, but aging helps[ok I sound like a school marm] - or at least it does me. Priorities seem more visible with some age perspective.
xo

un instinct de bonheur said...

I Love it - so peaceful, so beautiful.

herzensart journal said...

beautiful painting Katherine. Like you, I will take a break from doll making very soon for a few weeks to refill my batteries. We´ll see what happens :D

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~