Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Elder gentleman in transition



Perhaps one of the most memorable visits I had at Sanctuary One was with an old ram, well into his senior years. It was a hot day, and he had taken refuge in a barn, with another senior fellow. I met him in the morning and vowed to return later in the day to try to capture him in photos. He had a gentle, beautiful essence, one that seemed resigned to his stage of life without regret.

When I returned hours later, he was lying in basically the same spot, but his head was turned and I couldn't really do well with the light or the specific camera lens I had on. But I found these images very telling and spiritual.

He never opened his eyes during his long nap, but I did speak at length to him and rubbed his ears and forehead. Communing with him was very nice and I know he is transitioning into his next big journey.