Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Monday, January 09, 2017

New drawings of muses




Last week I showed you some new prints I had created. Some people asked if there were originals. Sometimes especially for illustrative work I combine hand drawn and hand painted elements and sandwich them into a digital original, hence there is not 'real' original to hold in your hands, it is a layered piece, so I make prints from it.

But there is always a starting point original. I decided to go back into the drawings and finish them with pencil and charcoal. I really love the muted tones and these remind me of old storybook pieces from childhood-which reminds me, I am still trying to get going on a new book idea. But more on that down the road.

In the meantime, these originals drawings are on the shop [the cat image has sold]. {And the prints inspired by them are too.}




3 comments:

Terra Hangen said...

Your art work is lovely and makes me smile.

Lisa Hofmann said...

This series of images is so magical and yes, they too remind me of something I would have seen in story books long ago. Or rather, what I might have imagined in my child's imagination while listening to stories like "Stuart Little" or Beatrix Potter?

Oh, my dream workshop? If I had to choose, something that would involve sketching with the Misfits ... perhaps a morning of quick sketches and then afternoon moving into intuitive sketching or creating story pieces from the morning? I love how you merge the energy and character of the Misfits into imaginative story narratives. Perhaps I just need a full barnyard? Moose has had many adventures in my past work, but he IS tired! xo

Saskia van Herwaarden said...

lovely drawings!
I'm smiling too

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~