Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, May 03, 2020

The old horse

Old Honey gets a brushing during shedding season
I had put weight on old Honey after her arrival last October and was feeling good about that. But around February I could see her weight was down. We did a Cushings test last week when the vet came and I suspect she has it. If not, I think we will just see how she does with some changes to her diet. I thought I was giving her enough-she has bad teeth, many were pulled on her arrival-so I had added soaked alfalfa pellets in her feed for fat. It seemed to be working until it wasn't. The vet had me up her intake by another 2#.

I don't know how long we will be able to keep her going. We know she is at least 28 but we suspect she might be over 30. I will not put her through another winter if we can't get weight on her. I also notice some muscle wasting. It can be a very hard call to put an equine down. I know the last owner struggled with it, which is why she is here-they were older and had medical issues, but the owner felt Honey still had some life in her and felt she couldn't do it-it was eating her up. When I met Honey, I agreed she had some life and took her on. She is a sweet girl, she isn't any trouble and she talks in little whinnies which is sweet.

She is here and safe in the herd and enjoying sun and warmer weather. She loves to be brushed this time of year, as you can see it is shedding season.

One of the reasons for the current Spring Fundrasier is to gather funds to cover the $1300 vet bill of last week, plus more funds for future teeth work we will do on the equines. Thank you to everyone who has helped. Three of my art prints will be given away too. You can always donate here too on the blog and I will add your name into the bucket for the print give away.

The Fundraiser ends May 15.