Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, December 12, 2008

Bring him home
















12.16.08 UPDATE: Wow, my heart is full and warm even in cold weather from the support of so many. We are planning to drive up next week, so stay tuned. The weather is a factor, but for sure we'll get up before New Years. I can't wait to bring the old boy home, and to meet Ellen and her farm. Pictures will be posted, and an interview with Guinness too.we'll be driving up with the One Eyed Pug and Huckelberry, so add a goat in there and it should be fun. It is quite a juggling act arranging farm care, and the trip was too long for a one day journey, especially in the winter, so we had to arrange overnight arrangements. All donators will recieve their APifera gift in a month or so. I just can't express my gratitiude.

I came upon this senior fellow needing a home. Guinness started his life like many little pygmy goats, in 4H with a little child who supposedly loved him. At that time he had another name, though it is unknown. The little girl grew up and lost interest him and eventually the parents tired of caring for him, so they gave him away. I wonder if she ever thinks of him? He ended up in a place with some goats, and was renamed Guinness [after the beer], but they had trouble with keeping him out of the garden, or sleeping on their porch, so they surrendered him last summer to the New Moon Goat Sanctuary up in Washington. New Moon is a wonderful place, operated by Ellen Felsenthal [who takes wonderful animal photos!]. Guinness is now about 15, an older age for a goat [though some live longer].

So, in keeping with my promise to my ever loyal and supportive husband, I need to find sponsors so I can adopt Guinness and bring him to his forever haven here at Apifera. The sponsor funds will help me make the 12 hour round trip and help pay for the adoption fee. As a senior animal, he might need some special care too, although feeding a pygmy is not that difficult.

I have donated a lot of money and art this year to other wonderful animal causes, and I was happy to do it. But I need a helping hand at times too. I want to make it clear that this money is to help me break even on bringing home this animal. In these economic times, there are so many more animals in need - people are abandoning their horses, and pets on roadsides all over the nation. Senior animals whose owners pass on are also being passed on - right into the shelter system where they surely face death when they should be facing a warm lap and fireplace.

I know I can't save them all, or even 1% of them, but if I can help senior animals come here to live, they can have a senior life they deserve - resting old bones in the sun, having a good rub down, sharing a stroll with a buddy, getting a good look at the full moon. [We're still working on finding the right senior dog to bring home for final hospice care - stay tuned.]

Thank you, everyone!!!!! Apifera's gift and a Guinnias message will arrive in January!

16 comments:

Claire said...

The adoption fee for Guinness has just been paid, directly to New Moon Goat Sanctuary, and Ellen knows what it's for. I hope that Guinness will be as happy with you, as our newly adopted angoras will be here. Taking in senior adoptables is a noble and selfless act, and I applaud you for choosing him. I do hope you will post about your trip to get him and his special arrival day on your farm.

Apifera Farm said...

Oh Claire!!! Ellen emailed and told me and I swelled up! I can't tell you how meaningful it is to have you do that. You just brought home those sheep too, so I know you know what it's all about. I hope I can return the generosity in many ways. I keep forgetting to get your great blog on my farm list, so it's on a list of things to do.

And to everyone else who has already written and donated, thank you! We still need some more if you're able, and we'll do it.

I'm going to write a letter to Obama about the grassroots way people reach out to help with animals.

ANd I will keep very posted about Guiness. I will close down the donations when it's reached what we need for the trip and my routine vet chekc for back here at the farm .

Wow, I'm just so grateful for my life and the kindness of so many. The times may be hard, but there is a lot of good energy out there.

Claire said...

Yes, having just brought home those sheep, which are actually angora goats (they do look like sheep though!), makes me all the more sensitive to the needs of our barnyard friends. I am so pleased to be able to help.

I love your idea of writing to Obama about the grassroots animal help movement despite the economic hard times. Thank goodness for the grassroots movement that helped him get to where he now is! There is so much good to be found out there, we just need to see past the bad.

Apifera Farm said...

One of my loyal readers and supporters of my animal causes, sent me this wonderful bit of wisdom:

There is a philosophy in modern Judaism called "tikkun olam," which translates as "repair the world." The heart of it is that true spirituality requires ongoing positive action in the world, not a bloodless yearning for the hereafter:

We in the Tikkun Community use the word "spiritual" to include all those whose deepest values lead them to challenge the ethos of selfishness and materialism that has led people into a frantic search for money and power and away from a life that places love, kindness, generosity, peace, non-violence, social justice, awe and wonder at the grandeur of creation, thanksgiving, humility and joy at the center of our lives.

Cathy said...

What our modest Katherine left out was my note after that quote (from Tikkun magazine by way of Wikipedia):

That's you in a sentence, my dear.

coloredsock said...

oh he is a sweet pea. i love the namd Guiness, but i love Guinnie-ess even more. good luck!! xoj

Apifera Farm said...

Oh Miss Lou/Cathy, I'm blushing. But thank you.

Miss Henny Jenny- You might need a goat for the baby.

Zan Asha said...

Wow, this is such a wonderful post. It reminds me of last week, when a whole bunch of blogging folks helped someone avert foreclosure on her home by donating enough to cover her mortgage! It is really heartening to see people coming together to help one another this way. Give Guinness a big hug from all of us Katherine!

Mary said...

i am one of your blog lurkers who doesn't comment much....and i've made a little donation to your wonderful cause! what a lovely thing to do and what a wonderful life you have made for yourself and your family and all your adoptees ;-)

Apifera Farm said...

Zan - that is a wonderful story! When i see what's going on out there, I feel so lucky and graced, really. As scary as these times are, my thought each day at some point [when anxiety kicks in, and it does] is to look at what is around me, stay focused on creating, and that will feed my farm and household of husband and creatures, somehow.

Apifera Farm said...

Hi Mary - I love lurkers with generous hearts and open minds...I have created a world here, it's true, and it's evolving. And I'm really exxcited to meet Ellen at the goat rescue. We talked at length and she seems so cool! And talk about hard working and dedicated to animals. Man, she's on my 'help out' list from now on.

Tai said...

Who could say no to that beautiful face? Donation made, with love.

L to the Aura said...

What a cutie.
I wish you the best of luck in this endeavour!

Yolanda said...

Sometimes it seems I have more kinship with the animals than people.STay warm in our wintery wonderland.

salmonpoetry said...

what a wonderful holiday gift to Guinness- a lucky goat that gets to come live at Apifera Farm.
Kiran and I have been besotten with pygmy goats lately, studying up in preparation for bringing some to our ecovillage farm when we move there, hopefully.
so this was a perfect holiday surprise and opportunity to help a senior goat find his way to a happier home. keep us posted on the trip and on how he is doing.

Robin said...

Hi there! I just donated to the goat wonderfulness. You are an angel. I am grateful to have stumbled upon this opportunity as I have made a little pact to try to do something *nice* every day until Christmas. Guinness and your sweet efforts made my day! Thank you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~