Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow sewing


The blanket of snow keeps getting deeper, and rather than taking the week to paint, it just felt right to sew. I am kind of going crazy, sewing any loose piece of fabric I can find into something. I'm threatening to make Christmas pageant outfits for all the animals, but Martyn has suggested I focus on one outfit which we will present to Guinness on his arrival.

I made this doll and pillow for my mother. When my father died in March, I took all his neckties and socks and hankies. He loved fine fabrics and always had beautiful ties from Italy. I saved the one he wore to my wedding, and one other that he bought while in my company which had a horse on it. This little pillow is made of the ties I took home with me after the funeral, and the little doll is made of his socks, and her dress is a beautiful silk tie.

I had a nice day making these, and felt him as I sewed. The solid color knit ties were his every ties he wore to work. As I sewed, the snow fell, just like it did in a memory of a Minnesota day...my father smoking his pipe in his big chair, my mother cooking with wonderful spices, a distant TV from my brother's room, and a little black dog long gone.

He loved wrapping Christmas gifts in artistic fashion, to the point that our wrapping each year became a tradition. As I sewed, I often took time to just hold those ties, as if he was right here with me, like the memory in my head and heart.

11 comments:

Terry Busse said...

Ahh, a very nice image. Makes me smile. I love when "old" things get turned into new things - especially lovely pieces of art.

I wish we had snow here - Davis CA. We keep hoping "this" is the year we will get snow. The kids and I heard an old wives tale about sleeping with a teaspoon under your pillow to make it snow. It hasn't happen for us yet, but we are keeping those spoons under our pillows.
Enjoy the snow!
Terry

Balou said...

Wonderful memories and great projects.

Apifera Farm said...

No, no, Terry, you ave it wrong, you have to wear an apron to bed - try that! We got about 3" more today, It's beautiful even though it's causing some angst in some lives.

Balou - thanks for stopping - stay warm!

Andrea said...

What a wonderful post! I get the sense you have a lot of your father in you....and such lovely memories. :)

Cathy said...

What a lovely way to remember your dad! That's such a sweet gift for your mom.

I pulled out some lace shawls to show my sister last night, and she asked why they all smelled so good. Apifera lavender-filled rag doll!

julie@greatwool.com said...

made me tearie...i too have ties of my father's..they also make pretty pillow ornaments. :)xoj

coloredsock said...

mmm, i LOVE this doll and pillow. it's the sweetest present you could make for your mom. it'll mean so much to her. you and your dad sewed up together. i love how you create with fabric! yer inspiring me a lot!! xoj

Apifera Farm said...

Cathy - and it keeps moths away....

Julie- Hey, we have a Minnesota postcard out our window! Yea, I hated to cut into the ties. I would like to make an apron or blanket out of them, but I 'm a bit challenged as a novice working with silk. I called the doll a CAt ANgel, and he has wings sewn in on the back - she's in charge of bringing Bob cheese! He so loved cheese. I didn't tell you, but my mom re-homed Sammy. It was sad, but was the best for all, including Sammy. He needed excercise, and he was tripping her by mistake. he lives with a wonderful couple now...sad though for her.

Hey Jenny Henny - I'm sewing a prom dress for the baby. I figure it will take me that long [if it's a boy, he'll be a stand out.]

farmlady said...

I lost my father a year and a half ago. This post reminded me of him again. I wish I had kept his ties or a shirt to make something with. I just didn't think about it at the time. Thanks for the memories.

Red Fish Circle said...

Hey Katherine, I am lovin' your scrappy sewing pillows. This will be such a special gift for your Mom, so sweet and such beautiful memories. Glad you are having so much fun sewing... great way to spend a wintery afternoon.

GardeningJo said...

Simply a wonderful, heart warming post!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~