Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Friday, December 19, 2008

Huckleberry extends snow day

In which nature throws us another beautiful inconvenience...



We received another 6" or so over the night and into the early morning. I lay in bed and listened. I thought about what a perfect little life a snowflake lives. It's born of water and comes together with all sorts of other snowflakes, each one different but each sharing a common heritage. Once born from water, do they huddle together in anticipation of their first and final journey through the clouds? As they float through wind and sky, getting closer and closer to the arms of the trees and the lap of the earth, do they sense whimsy, or perhaps melancholy of the quickness of life? They come to their respective resting spot, settle in a group, huddled together, waiting for the warmth of the sun to take them, just as they came, in water.

Getting water to the animals is the main challenge right now, but it's fine. We are supposed to get another cold blast on Saturday and Sunday. Our trip to pick up Guinniess might be delayed to mid week or next Monday. AS disappointed as I am not to have him on Monday, I guess there is no point getting stuck on an iced free way with a 90# lab with gas, a one-eyed senior pug with gas, a senior pygmy goat.

7 comments:

Balou said...

If I saw someone standing by their vehicle in the ditch with a 90# lab with gas, a one-eyed pug with gas, and a senior pygmy goat, I would definitely stop and offer help just to hear the story. Better safe than sorry. Hope the storms don't cause any harm.

Kathy said...

LOL I think I agree with you there. Better to wait for better weather. He sure is cute in the picture.

Apifera Farm said...

Balou, you are cracking me up. I would definately stop for me and those critters too -so funny, today Martyn and I [and Huck] piled in the car, put in the 4WD and drove down the very long drive so the mail woman could hopefully make it up - we had just started down the drive, and BOOM, this odor overcame both of us instantaneously, and we both said, "Oh, Huck!!!" and rolled down our windows at the exact moment. It was so funny. Ah, the gas we pass...

Apifera Farm said...

You're right, Kathy. We're still holding out hope and might see what Monday AM is like. But it seems like the universe is giving fact after fact not to go. Either way, he'll be with us soon. And I know he has much to share. It's like a Christmas present for me, and him, and Frankie!

Friederike! and Sandra said...

Dear Katherine,
we hope you can bring home Guinnie-ess very soon! Have a good and safe ride!
Sandra and Friederike!

blackfeatherfarm said...

The photos are gorgeous ! Looks like you are getting a white Christmas, but I'm happy with the dormant vegetation and dull brown of my Christmas, we will be at 58 degrees ! Be safe and hopefully Guinni will be home soon raising an eye brow at the one-eyed pug. Does he need an eye patch matey ?
"Merry Christmas" to Apifera Farm and all of it's enchanting inhabitants.

Tina T-P said...

Merry Christmas Katherine - I hope that there is no damage to your farm or animal friends from all the cold and snow. I am lucky that The Shepherd does all the work around here - I just have to keep food on the table :-) T.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~