Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, December 01, 2008

Discussion with my waddle


After you stuff yourself with food for three days or more, it is best to sit still, with apples, and let others gather around you and eat. In this way, the true meaning of Thanksgiving is once again noticed - giving, sharing, laughing. I much prefer the end of a holiday, versus the beginning. I much prefer the comfort of the privacy of my studio. I like people, I like socializing, I like my family and friends. I'm always reminded though, especially when gatherings and socializing come back to back and head to head, I am at my best when creating. I am less critical, more forgiving, gentler. I even look better in my own mind. And then the rudeness of the picture shows me - "Hey, you really have a throat waddle now...and that hat, what hat do you have on?" But then I must remind myself, do the animals care about my hat? Do they not come to me to commune when they notice my waddle? Do they even notice my waddle? Let's face it, to a chicken, a waddle has a whole attraction thing going on. My husband claims I don't have a waddle, but he is a wise man, I know he sees the waddle. And most importantly, does the fact I now have a neck waddle make my art better or worse? No. So, I am pleased that come Wednesday my studio schedule will resume. Visiting with my mother has been wonderful, but living with the artist out of her studio has perhaps, no it has, been trying for the 82 year old. I am just so imperfect. But, waddle or not, so glad to be me.