Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, December 08, 2008

Inner sactum revealed



Someone asked me awhile ago to post pictures of my studio. I ignored the request, politely, but it came back again in my in box. It's not that I'm ashamed of my studio, I love it. I just always feel a bit squeamish showing it to the public domain. It's my inner territory. Nothing fancy. Spiders make their homes in the upper echelons, and donkeys and goats have walked these cement floors. Martyn has learned that I have basically marked the entrance with my scent, and if you cross the threshold without my assistance, you might be guided out, without words. The same person [a dear friend from afar ] who wanted to see pictures of my inner sanctum, likes to see what artists have hanging on their walls. She wondered what image on my wall was the most important

to me...it was strange. I said they're all equal because they all coincide with me and the farm and the studio. It has been noted, after all, that Apifera Farm is where 'art, lavender and animals collide'. I have a box of old clippings and sketches and words and such in a box that I dragged here from my Minnesota studio. I would it out and go through it every few months as the contents brought me comfort, and reminisces of days past that still felt present and important. It grounded me after so many moves and changes from 2002- 2004. But now the box sits mainly idle under a desk and what's important is the art of today and tomorrow, and the guy in the other room, and the hearts beating inside and outside these walls.

And the Neil Young song playing as I type. Blue, blue windows behind the stars, yellow moon on the rise, big birds flying across the sky, throwing shadows on our eyes, leave us helpless, helpless, helpless.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing your private domain with us. I love the picture of the little lamb being held. So sweet.

meg said...

A beautiful, dreamy post. Thanks for revealing your inner sanctum! I love the kitty by the woodstove!

Zan Asha said...

Katherine, it's a beautiful space. I have a teeeensy space, and I can be almost envious of all the lovely space you have, with the many momentos and expressions of your inner self so nicely placed....most especially your furry friends (and the stove heater ain't bad, either!)

Our Juicy Life said...

Hi - love the space...looks so cozy and warm and creative. Ah, the pug. That's my favorite shot. Miss my boy tons.

Claire said...

Wow, I love your inner sanctum. It oozes creative vibes. I haven't got an inner sanctum but now you have inspired me - maybe I should!

The words of your post are like a poem dedicated to your inner sanctum. I loved reading it.

Sunflower said...

how wonderful that you shared your studio with everyone. it's so interesting. a person'a work space is so special to them. thank you for sharing!
debbie

coloredsock said...

just how i imagined it. so you. and of course inspirin. xo

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

I LOVED visiting your BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL artist abode... The walls tell a story, as do all the little things that lie about...

thinking of you today.. dear friend...

It is snowing.. snowing.. snowing.. with winds very gusty and blowing the beautiful snow all around and I am too.. tucked into my artist studio.

BIG HUGS from Kansas

Friederike! and Sandra said...

so nice to see where all your wonderful art comes to life. Thank you for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~