Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, January 31, 2014

Raise a toast to a fine dog!



Perhaps the most gentle and sensitive soul on Apifera is Huck who turns 9 years old today. I can hardly believe it sometimes, how fast the time has gone. I'm sure you all know that feeling with your children, parents, pet, or selves.

Huck, aka "Grandpa", is slowing down and getting arthritic, but still loves to go for walks and pass gas on the couch-but only while he is surrounded by me and Martyn. He diligently licks and cleans the cats if they allow it, knows where every cat poo is in the front yard, and to this day, he has a phobia about walking by certain pieces of furniture. He never enters our bedroom unless asked. If I scream at my computer, he rushes to my side shaking.

I never had a Lab before Huck-I was a terrier person- and it was Martyn who asked if we could have a Lab after Louie Louie died.

"A Lab!?" I shrieked in jest.
"Only if it is chocolate," I ended.

Huck is one of those dogs that will leave a pretty big paw print of the heart. I hope we have many more years with this giant chocolate soul.

So raise a toast to a fine dog! Huckleberry Pie!