Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, July 13, 2015

Always at my side



I often take the back road for the 12 mile trip to the 'city'. I suppose the front road, which is paved, would feel like a back road if you live in a metropolitan area.

All the roads here have the back drop of the beginning of the coastal range, reminding me daily of where I transplanted myself 13 yeas ago. The area combines many of the natural beauties of my old homeland of Minnesota, especially as late summer approaches. The valley farm land has stretches of flat expanses much like where my uncle farmed in North Dakota. The hills always accompany me outside my driver's window, side by side we go like having a dog at my side. We drive along the curves and swoop down deeper into another pocket of a valley, the road before me with a beautiful, fresh mustard yellow line could be a sculpture if lifted up and suspended like a Calder. Even when I'm in a muddled, sad, or anxious state, 'rushing' to the feed store at 35 MPH, I always look to my side, and take note,

There's the Coast Range. Hello.