Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, February 10, 2006

In honor of love and lambs

In honor of new life and love in all forms, you can buy anything on the art site or our farm site and take 10% off through February 14th - this includes items on any sale pages. You'll have to email me and notify me so I can send you an electronic invoice that refelcts the 10% off, which you can pay electronically or via mail.

Rosemary has still not had her lambs, and today is her offical due date. She is annoyed that I am constantly checking her rear
end and udder for variations of any kind...She is still eating well, so I haven't seen signs that today is the day. The Little Weeds are doing well, and I put them out in a sunnier pasture yesterday with the whole flock, on fresh grass. They ate their hearts out, and did the little lambie jumps, a good sign. Even little chocolate's ear is now up, and I'm skeeming like Lucy on how to fit him in to our breedin program...Martyn said, "You can keep him if you find a ewe to breed him to..." And I replied, "So, did you just give me a green light to buy another ewe?"

It is sunny, again, and for the past week I have been working Sky Flower in a short workout on the ground. We are working on basic commands and ground rules, and I am thrilled at both of our progresses. It dawned on me that working with a horse is so similar to the training I know and feel comfortable with for the dogs. It made it so much less intimadating to think of it
this way. I really love working her on the ground, and the bonding between us is growing. She is a pushy mare, so this has worked wonders, even in a week. I have now elevated myself to a hgher position of herd boss. But I think Sky might always challenge that position, only time will tell. Fortunately, she has a loving nature to go with her feistiness...hmm, perhaps this is what my husband thinks.

And if you like these faces, have a teeny bit of money to spare, read on.

Joe, the neighboring farmer, got his cows moved into one of our adjoining hay fields. I like looking out at them, but I must put up a boundary around them in my head and heart, most will be slaughtered in fall. It makes me hold my goats close at nite when I put them in. When you eat beef, or chicken or anything, remember someone is raising it, and caring for it, and most likely not ever taking their role as slaughterer lightly. I have met no farmer who relishes that aspect of raising livestock.