Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, May 03, 2007

Outcome


I recently gave this painting to an artist friend, a compadré in the qwest of sustainable living who yearns to return to the land and live in a yurt. He will succeed of course, as he has stated his intentions quite clearly to himself
and once that happens, all the powers get set into action. I can see the birds visiting him while traveling over his yurt village. I was very satisified with this piece, the process, and the outcome. Some seem to have the opinion that it is not the outcome of the painting that is important, but the process. If this were entirely true, I would not swoon over the beauty of a home grown strawberry,but rather would be content only partake in it's daily growing patterns. I paint for many reasons, and I have no qualms stating that I enjoy the outcome, as well as the sometimes struggle, sometimes flow of creating it.

I think May is one of the busiest months on the farm. Things must be done to prepare for the upcoming growing season, from vegetables to the lavender to improving the fields for better grazing. Martyn is almost done building another shelter for the lambs that will be 'chosen' to grace us with meat. We chose to not castrate this year, which means to play it safe I will have to separate them out at 3 months. They will have their own lush fields to graze on, sunshine as always, wind, the sound of the river, and a cedar shelter to provide a safe haven from coyotes at night.

Meanwhile, there is a couple tons of bark mulch in the front yard, which I am spreading 3" thick over our garden areas. Even though we planted drought tolerant plants, we still have water issues come July/August, and lost a lot of hearty plants. This will improve the situation greatly. We are also getting ready to put our trench in for our irrigation from the river, which will supply a holding tank up on a hill. It will supply livestock with water, as well as our upcoming greenhouse and newly planted trees. I've planted some more crab apples [the donkeys and horse love them] and Martyn surprised me with a 15 foot tall blooming wisteria for my door opening out from the studio.

So, with all that on our plates, it is no wonder this painting was so satisfying. It is so free and light and casual. Just like the yellow finches that have returned.