Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, May 04, 2009

Participate in Pino's Hospice event


For those of you new to my blog, I love pie and I love donkeys, and after delivering pies one summer day with Pino at my side, I knew I had to somehow bring pie and Pino together and share it with others. Since Pino and I don't have a pie pulling truck [someday....] we host pie parties here at the farm, complete with a donkey hug area. We ask people to donate $5 and that money is then used to fund another free pie party for a cause we believe in. So this summer, the June 21st Pie Day [open to all] will help support our August Pino Pie's Hospice Celebration Day.

I'm just so excited for Pino Pie's Hospice Celebration Day to honor hospice care workers. The event is set for August 15th, and I'm working with one of Pino's supporters who is a hospice worker with Kaiser Permanente. She came to Pie Day last year and has been an avid supporter of both my art and animal causes. I have great respect for those who help the dying. While my hospice work seems to revolve around animals, I was so glad my father had the care of hospice in his final month. It also meant the world to my mother. I hope too that the event will help me build relationships with specific caregivers, who might have clients who would benefit from a Pino Pie Day with Pino.

How you can contribute or participate in Pino Pie's Hospice Celebration Day:

For the Hospice Care worker Celebration, 8" squares of fabric will be handed out to people, and they will write a brief note to thank a hospice worker, or send a prayer to someone they hospiced. Children will also be able to write on the squares. The squares will then be hung on the fence line here at the farm like prayer flags so people can read them during the event. Then I'll take the squares after the event and make them into a book, or something as a commemorative, and present it to my contact at Kaiser.

So I'm asking people to contribute 8" fabric squares, and you can have fun and embellish them [or not].
- Send us fabric squares. Important: leave the interior of the square open for writing. You can leave the square blank, or embellish like I did on this sample square.

- If you don't want to make a square[s], send a yard [or less] of plain natural fabric [white or lite colored cotton, muslin, linen, natural fabrics only].
- Did you experience the caring of a hospice worker in your family at some time? If so, send in a 8" square with your own hand written note on it, and it will be included in the event. You can simply write on the fabric with a Sharpie or black marker, write your first name and city/state.

- Send your items to Pino c/o Apifera Farm, 14710 NW Tupper RD, Yamhill, OR 97148

- Deadline: Please send as soon as possible. I want to send some squares to my Kaiser contact soon - so people that can't come can write on a square.

Donations: We are not a 501c. Our public pie parties [like the June 21st event] are paid for by us, all out of pocket. I make all the pies from scratch. We do not charge for the pie [this is illegal, for one thing]. We ask for a suggested $5 donation per car - that money helps us fund more pie parties for our causes - like this year's Hospice Celebration Day. Besides hosting the Pie Party for Kaiser's hospice caretakers, we hope to make a small monetary donation after the event to their hospice program. Some of the ways Kaiser uses donations is to offer free acupuncture services to hospice patients, or support their volunteers. If you want to send a donation, just let me know. We accept checks or Paypal.