Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Opie learns a lesson about life

Every year, it happens. We must bid farewell to friends. It was little Opie's first Sunflower Farewell and he got verklempt because he recognized them as big giant mothers and sisters, and now they were dying.

These are lessons we must teach the young.

"But Opie," I heard one of the sunflowers call out, "You can carry one of my seeds, and I'll be with you all winter and spring, then put me in the ground, and I'll come back, slightly different, but it will be partially me, just like you are partially your mother."

This made Opie feel better. But he still shed some tears as he sat on Pino's lap with Birdie standing guard-she had a hankie in her right hand, waiting, just like a good mother would.