Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Monday, May 03, 2010

Conversing with Chickens #1


I have declared it "Conversing with Chickens Week" here at Apifera. For those of you who don't live with chickens, I hope that it will expand your understanding of these creatures. I have heard some people boldly state that chickens are stupid. Perhaps these people are just projecting, or perhaps they are so busy texting they haven't taken time to discuss things with chickens, things that might help them learn something from a chicken perspective.

So I will be asking questions of my chickens all this week. These interviews will take place outside, at a moment's notice, because these are very busy chickens, and you have to basically interview them as they work.

Today's interview on the fly was with Clara Barton, one of the Buff Orpingtons:

KD: "Do you look at your eggs as food, or children?"

CB: "I view them as part of me, part of my daily destiny. But I do not label them as child or food, but if I did label them, or chose to label them, it would be my right to do so."