Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Saturday, May 08, 2010

Hang in there, Jane



As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Jane is not well, and I am assuming she is egg bound, something I've never dealt with. So the last 24 hours I've spent giving chicken baths, inserting olive oil drenches in various chicken parts, and basically asking the large online chicken network for opinions. Yesterday I took these pictures when she first showed signs - limp wings, eyes closed, dull, not eating...and a large egg shape swelling below her vent.

After hours of studying chicken anatomy, I don't understand how that swelling can be a stuck egg, since it is below the canal that the egg would come out. I'm concerned the swelling is from something going wrong in the canal below her egg tube, the name of which I've forgotten, starts with a c.

Anyway, Jane and I are are bravely forging ahead. She seems to like the warm soakings, and tolerate the finger probes in her vent - sorry, this is a farm emergency so one must talk about probing chickens. I have her separated, in a crate, and she is residing in the Ward room, where the old goats live. Edmonia Lewis has been pecking her, so I will keep her crated excpet for sunning outings. And she is eating eggs and yogurt, slowly, but she is still eating. If any of you have experience with this, feel free to chime in. Many of you already have on Facebook, and thank you for that.

In a nutshell, it's frustrating to not always know what the problem is, but with chickens, even if you did, there is often nothing you can do. In the meantime, she is cared for, and safe, and I'm happy she seemed a bit more alert today, but obviously uncomfortable.

Jane is one of the Three Janes, and I'm very fond of her Barred Rock personality. I'm still hoping, but cringe on each walk to the barn. Hang in there,Janey.

7 comments:

maccandace said...

Oh, no! I wish the best for Jane.

Claire the Shepherdess said...

I'm glad to hear she's still with us. Any change in the nature of the swelling? I keep wondering if you should try to "drain it" if it feels at all like it might have fluid in it.

Zan Asha said...

Hey Katherine, I am sorry to hear this about Jane. Yes, massage the area that is swollen and lubricating the vent sometimes helps. That is strange--unless she is trying to "push" constantly, I wonder if the egg is bound further up--though I've not really heard of that.

Jane is in my thoughts and prayers and I hope she makes it!

Apifera Farm said...

Tonight she once again ate all her eggs, and even free ranged, drining ALOT of water. The swelling is still there. Did 3 cc of oil into her vent, and egss had lots of oil too. Tonight I put all the chicken in their coop, and was going to let Jane free range while I did chores, and she did quite a bit, but is still out of sorts, but she wandered to the coop area. So I let her in coop, and contained her in a separate little area for chicks. There are tow hens that have been pecking her. I'm hoping she wanted to be in the coop becasue maybe that will help her pass the egg. I don't understand how the selling below her vent, to the left, can be an egg!!!! Help me!!!

deedledumpling said...

I will hold Jane in my Heart and Mind! Another defining circumstance in your life on Apifera, you (and Jane) have us all holding our breath. Today of all days I hope that the "Mother" holds Jane safely within her own wings.

dancewithleela said...

i'm a frequent reader, but have never before commented

i have not yet experienced this with any of my chickens, but have read of a condition where fluid collects in the hen's abdomen

i believe it is called something like "ascites"

i'm sorry i don't remember more, but you may want to try researching this condition and see if it sounds more like what you're dealing with

i highly recommend the forums at backyardchickens.com - lots of people with good experience on there

i hope this is helpful, and i'm sending lots of healing energy to jane

best,
teri

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

This is the sweetest, dearest blog I've ever read. I hope Jane is ok. Animals are so precious.
Kelly

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~