Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Creatures coming to life



As you might remember I have a solo show in September in Astoria, Oregon. I will of course have a lot of paintngs, but I am also finally starting on ideas I've had for a couple years-making creatures come to life in clay and other materials. I've done needle felted figures and these clay pieces will-or it's the plan-incorporate fabrics and felt, wood...who knows what else.

I started my art career in college as a ceramicist. I really loved it but didn't want to be a starving artist, or an artist with a day job [because as a ceramicist, that is what I had to do!], so I veered into illustrating which led to books and painting. It is like going home to feel the clay again. I'm finding it incredibly therapeutic, not that I'm in a state of misery, but I know it is something I need right now. Forming faces in 3D is so...I don't have words for it. I will work on that, as it is something I need to explain. It is slightly different than painting and bringing a finished piece to view.

I plan to have backdrops painted for some of them. I envision them becoming stories in and of themselves.

I have a lot of work to do before September!In some ways I have no idea what I'm doing!

These two pieces are green ware, unglazed.

2 comments:

Terra said...

How good to express yourself by creating beautiful pieces in ceramic again, for your show.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I'll be watching to see where you go with these. Was reading your drawing book this morning and looking at your Pino doll. Now there will be Pino sculpture too. xox PS Thanks for the surprise.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~