Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, January 14, 2010

Announcing: 100 Artist Show


Each artist received a tin can [read below] to embellish or paint. I really wanted to cut my can open and make some kind of diorama, but after nearly cutting my wrist and finger tips, I was banished from can cutting by Martyn. I then had the brilliant idea of turning the can into ball [I won't even go into my idea], but after nearly smashing my finger tips, I stopped with the can smashed into sort of a flat dome shape. It had ridges on it too, not that conducive to certain techniques. I was sort of angry at that can, and the process. But I sat down and thought about what hunger , real hunger, would do to me. I wouldn't be able to focus, think or create. I've only experienced thirst and hunger on minute limited levels, and for those children and adults who are hungry, their day must be spent focused on hunger. After I eat, I'm nourished, and my ideas can float and be free. So that's what this smashed can means to me.

Read below to see how to bid on the piece, with proceeds going to Marion-Polk Food Share. Piece is acrylic, pastel, some collage, and a tin can. 8"x8". Created on 120# watercolor paper. Two small bolts allow it to be hung as is.

For the 7th consecutive year, during the month of February, the Mary Lou Zeek Gallery will be presenting their annual 100 Artists Show. Benefiting the Marion-Polk Food Share, the theme of this year’s show is “Nourish & Sustain” and appropriately, the 100 participating artists were each sent a large empty food can through the mail and were asked to use this as their starting point for their piece of art. Each can was sent “as is”, and was not packaged or boxed, but rather processed directly by the postal service firsthand. The stamps and addresses on the cans remain a part of the artwork for identification and for evidence of the actual mailing. Each artist, starting with the exact same object, has had over three months to transform, build, infuse, reduce, paint or reinvent the can into their own unique work of art.

The exhibit will open on Tuesday, February 2nd at 10:00 am pacific time. The public will be invited to bid on their favorite artwork via a silent auction that will run through Friday, February 26th at 5:30 pm pacific time. Beginning bids are $50.00 with minimum increments of $5.00 and a maximum purchase price of $300. The entire show will be posted online at Zeek Gallery site. Bids can be made in person at the Mary Lou Zeek Gallery or by calling 503-581-3229.