Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, February 28, 2010

With the full moon, new life begins



A friend sent me a Latin quote reminding me of the full moon's door to new life life...la luna llena, and incipit vita nova. And so into the world, onto our farm, came more life. One girl, one boy, two heartbeats. As a first time mother, Fern is doing wonderfully. Calm, proficient she has shown her brood the way around the udder, which is all you can ask for. I usually wait at least 24 hours to put new lambs out, but it was sunny, and it does them good to have sunshine and to be able to walk.

And now we wait for more. I was sure three more ewes were in full blown pre-labor last night, but alas, nature fooled me. I really think Daisy will go tonight. "One day you don't have lambs, the next day you do." That was some of the best lambing advice I ever received, from an old timer when we first started out. I am so very grateful we are off to a healthy start.


17 comments:

maccandace said...

Oh, my goodness! Could they be any cuter?!?!?! So soft and sweet, I wanna kiss one! Congratulations! And may all the others have such healthy, happy outcomes!

Zan Asha said...

Oh Katherine, I am so happy for you! I know this year is particularly bittersweet for you but I wanted to say I cheer you on as a friend and an armchair farmer :) It takes courage to live your dreams and take the risk of loving animals.

The babies are just beautiful!

Editor52 said...

God bless the lambs and the ewes and the "mother of sheep" who is helping deliver these cuties.

Cathy said...

So precious, the new babies! Love to them, their mamas, and our dear shepherdess.

Sharon said...

so precious...it makes me want one so bad!

Claire said...

Adorable! I love those pictures. They capture that "lamb essence" so perfectly. I am so relieved that both they, and Fern, are well. I'm also really interested that sometimes your sheep give birth in the night. I mean, I have only had one lambing season, but all 6 ewes lambed in the morning last year, between about 7 am and noon, so I sort of assumed that it would always be that way...

Kathy said...

What precious babies. They look so soft and sweet. I am so glad they are well and their momma is too. I hope the rest go as well this year.

Tai said...

They are beautiful! So lamby and soft. Congratulations!

Kim said...

Amazing! Beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Carla Sonheim said...

Congratulations, Katherine! They are beautiful. Miracles.

Paula S In New Mexico said...

So cute. Love those expressive little faces. I'll bet they're cute when they run around.

Flassie's Fil'a said...

How precious and sweet these
little lambie poos are!!!

God Bless You and Yours!!!

Deborah Weber said...

Such sweet little ones! Yay Fern, yay Katherine! May the rest of the deliveries be easy and blessed as well.

Karen Deborah said...

GAH! Those babies are udderly kissable!!! CUTENESS and they look so soft and touchable oh lord, they are just wonderful babies.

artistickitty said...

Oh my!!!....doesn't get any sweeter than that. I spent some time the other day, pulled over on the side of the road, watching some baby goats frolicking about. Could have sat there all day!
So off to a splendid start...holding my breath alongside you until the last mama gives birth. ♥AK

Blackfeatherfarm said...

PRECIOUS..... I hope I make it through this {your} lambing season....Last years losses on your farm about did me in....Heres hoping for a safe season for all.

bbmowery said...

I am exhaling a little breath of relief, as I was nervous for you this lambing season. At least the weather is fair. Here in Maryland we are in various states of thaw. My friend Tim's sheep began laboring just after our last blizzard. He had to wade through hip deep snow to care for them. I imagine that lambing season is pretty exhausting by itself without the added burden of a snowstorm. Hope all is still going well for you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~