Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Friday, August 20, 2021

Hannah makes her debut elder visit


We finally got over to Cove's Edge - in person- to visit our elders. I took Hannah for her first time and she did great. It took her about 15 minutes to settle a bit, and it was her first time on the halter too. But she likes to lap sit and the residents really loved her. I put her on the table too to try to get her to do some leaps to no avail. Perhaps the expression on Earnie's face was the most heart stopping for me. Earnie has been a farmer since he was a young boy, which is how he lost his arm as a teenager but it didn't stop him from farming. He is also an animal lover and animal magnet. Opie always loved him.

We talked about Opie on our visit and we all miss him. There will never be another Opie and I wish he had not left us so soon. Perhapes his star was so bright and he gave so much in his short life that he needed to rest, or go elsewhere to help others on a different level. We talked about getting  his Opie Love Mobile out for winter and I hope Hannah and I will be allowed inside this winter...but we will see what Covid does this fall season.

But it was a lovely and fun visit. I know this group of residents now, and they me, so it is like visiting with family and we share stories and laugh and it is just fun. I know it helps break up the day for them, and for the caretakers too. And I hope they know how much I too am lifted by the visits.