Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

©K.Dunn. All rights reserved.




Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Groom the one you love



For those without an equine, one might wonder what Paco is doing to little Lucia. Don't fear, this is donkey grooming at it's best.

Equines neck like this, and though to the beholder it can look like rough play, it isn't. When I groom Boone, he will nuzzle me, and of course one must set their own boundaries as to how far they let the horse 'groom' their owner. Teeth are not allowed!

Lucia especially loves to stand facing me and neck with me. But they all like to neck.

Even Frankie will get in on the necking - she stands under Pino's neck and tilts her head. This means, "Nibble my back please, I can't reach yours."

4 comments:

Mare said...

Oh...Someday i would love to neck with a donkey! Great pictures Katherine! :)

Cathy said...

Awwwww! So Pino was expressing affection when he took my arm in his teeth?

I hope poor Paco didn't get left out of the allogrooming.

Apifera Farm said...

That actually is Paco in the picture. Now, now, when he had you in an arm lock it was all love - readers, fear not, we are exagerating. It's funny, people think Paco is left out of everything, but Paco actually is the king of the herd. He's very bossy, pushy and insecure. He gets lots of attention though. I have a story in mind about him and if i ever get the Pino story to a certain point might take a stab at it.

Cathy said...

Oh duh, you did say Paco! I should have recognized his muzzle.

I knew it was Pino love. I think he was testing me (and Dan) a little, too, in his sweet way.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~