Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. #EIN# 82-2236486

All images

©Katherine Dunn.





Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Groom the one you love



For those without an equine, one might wonder what Paco is doing to little Lucia. Don't fear, this is donkey grooming at it's best.

Equines neck like this, and though to the beholder it can look like rough play, it isn't. When I groom Boone, he will nuzzle me, and of course one must set their own boundaries as to how far they let the horse 'groom' their owner. Teeth are not allowed!

Lucia especially loves to stand facing me and neck with me. But they all like to neck.

Even Frankie will get in on the necking - she stands under Pino's neck and tilts her head. This means, "Nibble my back please, I can't reach yours."