Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lessons in the field

In which a deer reminds the human that "ill thoughts die and good are born, out in the fields with God..." E.B.Browning

During harvest, one gets wrapped up in it, completely. One has to. But, one is also in charge of their own madness. Yesterday the weather was perfect for my fair skin and slight tinge of weariness from too much wine the night before. During the harvest, we indulge in whatever we need to to sooth our limbs. For example, I had baked an apple pie and took it out of the oven about 5 pm. Instead of waiting for post dinner pie, I thought, heck, I worked my butt off and I shall eat a warm piece of pie before I return to the barn to stand on a ladder to hang bundles for the next 2 hours.

So when I entered the field in the morning, having left Martyn to hang bundles in the barn, I was calculating the harvested amount of lavender in my head. But there in front of me, within 4 feet of the car, stood a yearling. She didn't move and I greeted her out my window. I slowly passed her to my working spot in the field. Being close to any wild animal is an honor, and I took it as a cue to sit for awhile. I sat in the car with my bare arms slightly chilled from the breeze, but warmed as the sun bathed them.

It's a wonderful time of day here. The road is quiet, the roosters from the various properties are crowing. I could hear the young nest of crows on the river. The lavender field is 3 years old in spots so was in full bloom, and the bees were much farther along in there work than I was with mine.

As I began my work, the deer had walked to be on my left, about 15 feet away. She grazed on weeds, as I cut lavender. The wind made a pattern - first you hear the sound, then you feel it, then you hear it again. I worked 30 minutes, then returned to the car to rest a spell. Out the front window, I saw the pasture, full of loved creatures.

8 comments:

Meg said...

It is indeed an honor to be near any animal. I agree. What a lovely post.

coloredsock said...

the deer is so stunning. i imagine the wildlife senses the sweet, healing vibes of your farm and feel so safe to visit. such an honor to share their presence...

Zan Asha said...

As always Catherine, this is beautiful :)

Mare said...

The wild creatures are visiting us, trying to tell us something... We had a deer greet us in the park down the road from my house. I had my grandchildren walking with me and we were amazed, us and the deer, that we saw each other in that unlikely space. In the same week, my daughter went to move her plant in front of her shop door as i held the door open, and a tiny bat was resting behind it! It fluttered up near her face and then away. And this weekend, as i visited Boston to see Amma, a huge dragonfly was flying inside the auditorium(most anxious to be around Amma too)and came to land near us....We are having wonderful visits!

Dan Dutton said...

I love the last pic - it's bucolic! I hope Martyn's 1st steps to barefoot paradise are going well - sometimes it helps if someone goes just a little ahead of you and picks up any rough or pointy things in the way. (after you finish your pie.) Oh I know he's going to be just as wild as a deer in no time!

fairygirl said...

I'm trying my third attempt at commenting. I always do these great things like create an account and forget the password. It took me forever to retrieve or recreate a new one. Anyways, now that I'm trying this for a third time, my words are running short and I'm running out of time.

I simply love your photos, Katherine. Just to think this is all out your front door. I just spent the last week up north on the Kern River, Bass lake and Yosemite and I was so thrilled to spend time watching the Does with their fawns, eagles overhead, racoons trying to get as much food as possible. I didn't want to leave.

As for your beautiful harvest of lavender, it can't get any prettier than that. There is nothing more beautiful than a crop of lavender in bloom. We get ours blooming earlier down here. Do you have several varieties???

I love your sock animals too. I shared your blog with my sister and she absolutely adored everything.

I'm enjoying your stories.
I better get back to work now. I'm creating some odd insect people. I don't thin k they will fit well in my portfolio but i just had a need to create them. Maybe they'll fit in the faculty show.

Take care, Joyce

shepherdgirl said...

Thanks for writing everyone! The pictures always hide all the weeds and thistels too...we ain't no Martha Stewart farm here on Apifera! Sorry you had trouble with comments, Joyce, but glad you got through. Yosemite area is beutiful. I have fond memories of my annual spring excursion I used to take, just me an my dog, though the Badlands, through Custer Park onto Colrado. I always went the week before Memorial Day and was usually alone in the park - always saw awesome sights...

Carolyn said...

Just stopped by for a visit. I wanted to say Hi and Nice Blog.

Carolyn

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~