Apifera Farm - where art, story, animals & woman merge. Home to artist Katherine Dunn

Apifera Farm is a registered 501 [c][3]. All images ar©Katherine Dunn.





Thursday, July 24, 2008

Illustrative encounters


I've been busy creating new illustration work. I love doing fictional stories and operas and plays. I really would love to do some projects with publishers for book covers, or for theater. I did a series quite a few years ago for Center Stage in Baltimore and loved doing it. But I feel like my style has matured and evolved and I would even love to recreate those. It's fun and challenging to try to create something on a single page that captures an essence of a whole book or play, or even a news article or report.. It also challenges me to read things I might not have without the assignment.

I really like illustration. it is such a different mind set than sitting down and just creating a painting at one's inner whim. There are elements of creating 'what you feel' that come through in any illustration job, but the task at hand has boundaries, but boundaries that must be pushed by the illustrator to create their best work. So, open call to art directors: Bring me a play! Bring me a novel! A short story! I will give you my best thought and inner process I'm capable of.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

That's so lovely!

I really like the twin sisters with their piglets also.

Interesting comment on illustration work. Have you ever done it for a story/opera/play you didn't like?

shepherdgirl said...

Hmmm, well I don't think so...I know I've done work though I wish I could re-do NOW. I think since 1996 when I started I've really evolved and matured, not only style and color wise, but in personality. Not that I was ever hard to work with, but I do think I seek more to push myself for solutions instead of always trying the expected way I might do something. When one gets really busy this can be a challenge, but if i remain calm and focused...focused? What was I saying..so really, I was hired once to paint Jesus - and it was a kill fee, no pun intended. The client kept going back and forth with each other about what Jesus really looked like...

Carla Sonheim said...

All of the samples from your links are just wonderful, Katherine! I love everything about your work, but especially the sketchy line work. Beautiful!!

coloredsock said...

AWESOME new work, girl! love them. such great feel. i'd hire you in a second!! i love how you see. also, i feel the same about illustration--the challenge, the researching, the inspiration spring board. i predict work will be pouring your way soon.

shepherdgirl said...

Thanks everyone. If only my artist freinds all owned one big company that bought illustration over photography, and we could all just illustrate our hearts out! I especially love Mad. Butterfly. I got to see it in NYC years, and years, and years [many dress sizes ago] and it was tragic. I grew up listining to it, but never knew what it was really about when I was little, still, it just moved me to tears. Then when you know what it's about - double hankie moment!

Meg said...

Absolutely beautiful.

herzensart journal said...

wonderful illustrated and your words about illustration work inspire me...

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! The farm and my art/writing keep me hopping, so might not respond immediately. Thank you for understanding. ~Katherine & Apifera ~